Details: Salary: $20.50 per hour
646 Malcolm X Boulevard
New York City Mission Society helps children, youth, and families in New York City’s poorest neighborhoods transcend the ills of poverty and create a cycle of success for generations to come. We have a dynamic portfolio of education, workforce development, prevention, and youth development and community-building programs.
Title: Activity Specialist – Martial Arts
Basic Function: Facilitation implementation of program activities for a group of middle school-aged after-school participants while creating a nurturing environment that fosters the creativity and educational advancement of the children.
Location: HVA – 244 West 144th Street, New York, NY 10030
Hours: Part Time: up to 6 hours per week
New York City Mission Society’s Power Academy is an after-school program dedicated to cultivating the personal growth and educational advancement of all of 6th to 8th grade participants. With a curriculum focused on academic enrichment, community service, cultural enrichment, the arts, recreation, and character education, Power Academy reinforces school-day learning in a safe and healthy environment. Programming is provided after school, on school holidays, and during the summer.
· Create a supportive and nurturing group environment.
· Ensure the safety of all the children.
· Facilitate programmatic elements for the group.
· Provide age-appropriate activities according to the program activity schedule.
· Develop and implement lesson plans.
· Prepare materials and hand-outs for lessons.
· Create and coordinate student performances.
· Attend team and group supervision meetings.
· Attend professional development trainings as required by the agency and program contract.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum Associate’s Degree in a related field or two years of experience working with students (elementary or middle-school aged) required.
· Must have strong interest in working with children.
· Must have the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of program and school staff.
· Must have excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational, and administrative skills.
· Experience overseeing a group of young people preferred.
· Experience creating lesson plans preferred.
Minimum Education Required