MTW seeks a business oriented, highly motivated, and detail-oriented manager to lead a team of 5-6 youth employees to manage their own retail and online used bookstore and community space. This position requires an individual with prior retail experience (bricks and mortar, as well as online retail), a commitment to working directly with youth and a track record of motivating and supervising a team to establish and meet high performance standards. As with any retail enterprise, this position will require flexible scheduling and direct work with customers and suppliers.
More Than Words (MTW) is a nonprofit social enterprise that empowers youth, ages 16-24, who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. MTW offers job training opportunities and transition support services to equip youth with first-hand experience in working as a team to operate retail and online businesses and to develop the tools to enable them to make progress around education, employment and life goals. The MTW model is premised on the belief that an actual job, one which provides hands-on, real-world training combined with high expectations, accountability and opportunities for personal development, is the best way to equip youth to gain marketable skills critical for success in school, work and life. (see www.mtwyouth.org for more about More Than Words)
MTW is an exemplary organization that has continually held up a mirror to identify areas for improvement and accountability; that ethic is part of the culture and fabric of MTW and it extends to our commitment to ensure our staff and board reflect the racial and ethnic diversity and lived experiences of the young adults we are privileged to serve.
This position reports to the Boston Site Director, and works in partnership with the business staff, interns and volunteers, and serves as a role model and professional resource for youth. This position offers an exciting opportunity for an individual with a high degree of social responsibility and an orientation to high performance to join a growing organization that combines “doing good, while doing well.”
Reporting to the Boston Site Director, the Business Training Manager will:
Manage Retail Shifts in order to meet Financial Goals:
- Oversee all aspects of the store and online businesses including maximizing profitability, training, inventory management, marketing, merchandising and events.
- Oversee all safety, policies and procedures to open and/or close the store on specific days including some evening and weekend shifts
- Lead a shift of 5-6 youth to ensure success of all business activities: serve customers, execute projects & events and fill online orders
- Continually monitor and improve systems to meet revenue benchmarks for online & store
Train Youth Employees:
- Work alongside youth to provide ongoing training, feedback and support for youth to improve performance in online & store business operations
- Hold youth employees accountable for all safety, policies and performance including attendance, punctuality, professionalism and efficiency with tasks on shift
- Work with youth and staff to support weekly Team meeting with all members of MTW
- Manage training manual updates, and training schedule coordination with Management Team
The Business Training Manager must be a high-energy person who enjoys teaching others, hitting goals, and working in a fast-paced environment during evening and/or weekend hours. The ideal candidate will have at least 3+ years of retail, book and/or business experience and a proven ability to inspire and compel others to exceed expectations. S/he should have successful experience teaching, training or supervising new learners, and a talent for empowering and engaging others to work together to achieve goals. A successful candidate will have exceptional communication, and sensitivity for MTW’s diverse constituencies. Great customer service, technological aptitude and a willingness to be accountable for the business are keys success!
Candidate must be able to regularly lift boxes weighing approximately 25 lbs., move easily up and down stairs and possess a valid driver’s license. Candidate must be able to work some evening and weekend shifts.
Competitive compensation and benefits will be offered commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com and put BTM-002 in the subject line.
More Than Words is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, citizenship status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Minimum Education Required