The Brotherhood Sister Sol is a social justice youth development organization that since 1995 has been a place where Black and Latinx youth claim the power of their history, identity and community to build the future they want to see. By educating, organizing and training, we are challenging inequity and creating opportunity for all. BroSis provides holistic and long-term support services to youth who range in age from eight to twenty-two.
BroSis offers wrap around evidence-based programming such as four-six year rites of passage programming, thorough five day a week after school care, school and home counseling, summer camps, job training, college preparation, employment opportunities, community organizing training, and month long international study programs to Africa and Latin America. Based in Harlem, NY but with a national reach, we publish assorted curricula and collections of our members’ writings; train educators from throughout the nation on our approach; and organize and advocate for social change. BroSis has earned national recognition for our evidence-based model, receiving an array of awards and funding from a host of national foundations, including Novo Foundation, Doris Duke Foundation, Marlene Nathan Meyerson Foundation, Charles Hayden Foundation, The William R. Kenan Charitable Trust, New York Community Trust, Comic Relief/Red Nose Day, William Stamps Farish Foundation, and more.
The organization has over 40 full-time staff, serves thousands throughout New York City, and has a $8.5 million dollar operating budget. In addition, we are working to complete an approximately $23 million capital campaign to fund construction of our new home, which is scheduled for completion in December of 2021. It is an exciting period of organizational growth and increased impact in our community and beyond.
POSITION SUMMARY The Chef will have restaurant or institutional or school cooking experience and will also be a generalist with diverse skills and a passion for food issues and food justice. This individual will be able to handle daily high volume production and organization while also managing and training assistant chef on basic cooking skills and food safety. The Chef will also lead food demonstrations and workshops for youth program participants.
The chef will report directly to Executive Director.
● Work in our state-of-the-art kitchen with the assistant chef on recipes, menu creation and other projects;
● Daily production of all menu items for members and staff
● Prepare all food items according to predetermined recipes
● Provide training and technical assistance to assistant chef
● Provide cooking demonstrations and nutrition workshops to our members
● Ensure food safety and sanitary standards are maintained to the highest level at all times
● Write and develop communications and program materials
● Interested in both preparing culturally specific food and also introducing young people to new food ● Conduct data collection and reporting;
EXPERIENCE & PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS & SKILL SETS
● Bachelor’s or culinary degree;
● Minimum of 5 years’ experience cooking in restaurant or institutional kitchens;
● 3 years of culinary management experience
● Experience teaching or public speaking;
● Strong writing and communications skills;
● Knowledge of Google Suite
● Excited to engage with young people around food curricula and cooking classes
As The Brotherhood Sister Sol is a youth development organization that works in close quarters with young people and children, and as the safety of our children and their families and our community is paramount - we have instituted a policy that all staff must be fully vaccinated by the start date of this position.If there is a medicalor religious reason for an exemption from vaccination this can be presented and will be considered.
The Brotherhood Sister Sol is a social justice youth development organization that since 1995 has been a place where Black and Latinx youth claim the power of their history, identity and community to build the future they want to see. By…
At the Brotherhood Sister Sol, we offer competitive salaries with a comprehensive benefits package including, health, dental, vision and life insurance, 3% employer contribution to 403(b) retirement account. As well as four weeks’ vacation in addition to personal days, paid holidays and office closure during Winter Break.
At the Brotherhood Sister Sol, we offer competitive salaries with a comprehensive benefits package including, health, dental, vision and life insurance, 3% employer contribution…