At Alexandria’s historic Beth El Hebrew Congregation, we work hard. We have fun. We focus on excellence. At Beth El, we strive to make a positive difference in our world.
As we approach our 160th year, we are seizing an opportunity to launch a sustainable, successful, sophisticated system of communications and congregational relations which will elevate the member experience.
Are you a collaborative team player? Do you have a disciplined work ethic, detail-oriented professional skills, excellent communication abilities – both written and verbal, and proficiency with Microsoft Office, social media, basic graphic design, and databases? Are you known for your keen emotional intelligence and a sense of humor? Do you feel the desire to be a part of something special? If so, you may be the right person for Beth El’s newly created position of Communications and Congregational Relations Coordinator.
A successful candidate for this role will have an affinity for community, communication, and connection. They will undertake a unique opportunity: creating, integrating, and sustaining a structure which reflects Beth El’s voice, and interacting meaningfully with its constituency by overseeing two vital aspects of congregational life:
- In concert with the senior rabbi and executive director, establish the Beth El voice and ensure our communications are accurate, well-crafted, and speak consistently across all media.
- Lead Beth El’s database conversion from MM2000 to Shulcloud (with professional IT support and administrative assistance).
- Digital communications:
- Update, refresh, streamline and maintain Beth El website and app.
- Spearhead social media campaign with daily Facebook and Instagram posts (coordinating input from and collaborating with, clergy, senior staff, and key lay stakeholders).
- Oversee impeccable, succinct weekly and special congregational emails.
- Potential collaboration with religious school communications TBD; style and voice will be determined by the Coordinator.
- Printed Communications:
- Monthly Beth El Bulletin responsibilities:
- Communicate with volunteer lay editor on crucial items such as donations, births, deaths, etc.
- Maintain ultimate ownership over monthly proofread, ensuring the Beth El voice comes through, throughout.
- Prepare clergy Shabbat service folder (includes critical lists of those in need of prayers for healing as well as those who have died).
- Organize weekly service bulletin for Shabbat.
- Aid in coordination and execution of large congregation mailings.
- Update onsite electronic message boards.
- Assist senior rabbi as needed in preparation for community presentations, special meetings, etc.
- Act as a Beth El ambassador, offering excellent professional customer service as a first point of contact for callers and guests.
- Gracefully and professionally facilitate and efficiently track communications between congregants and clergy/staff. These communications include, but are not limited to:
- Lifecycle events:
- Serve as lead facilitator between congregants and clergy for births, brits, namings, weddings, deaths, funerals, shivas, etc.
- Pastoral issues:
- Receive and respond to congregational pastoral events by aiding collaboration between clergy and Beth El’s Caring Community Committee.
- Manage weekly healing list.
- Process through controller.
- Share information with rabbi and lay bulletin editor.
- Pulpit guests:
- (Non-High Holy Days) Invite candle lighters, honored birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
- (High Holy Days) Invite Torah readers, pulpit honors, etc.
- Courteously reply to and direct general emails.
- In collaboration with executive director, review, revise, and maintain membership entrance and exit processes.
A strong knowledge of Judaism is preferred. We are open to hiring an outstanding candidate whose talents, personality, and willingness to learn the basics of Judaism will balance out the absence of a Jewish background.
Salary will be commensurate with experience for this full-time position (requiring 38 hours per week).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you believe you’re the right fit for this role, please send us your resume and a cover letter explaining your background, why you believe you are the ideal candidate for the position, and your salary expectations to Beth El’s executive director, Adam Wallach: firstname.lastname@example.org.