Details: Please provide desired salary in the cover letter
About Hot Bread Kitchen:
Hot Bread Kitchen is a non-profit social enterprise that creates economic opportunity through careers in food. We achieve our mission through our two main programs: our workforce development program, a paid, on-the-job training program in the culinary industry for low-income and immigrant women who face significant barriers to employment, and HBK Incubates, a culinary incubator that provides licensed commercial kitchen access and business development support for food entrepreneurs.
Hot Bread Kitchen seeks to quadruple the number of women we serve in our workforce development program in 2018 and 2019 with kitchen fundamentals training and managerial track job placements in the culinary industry among New York’s leading food employers through a workforce development model that builds on our decade of experience as a direct trainer and employer for women in need.
We seek an experienced and dynamic full-time culinary and/or baking and pastry instructor to partner with us in our growth strategy. The instructor will teach a class of approximately 30 students in 100 hours of hands-on culinary and/or baking and pastry techniques and associated instruction over six-week periods 6 times during the calendar year. The pace of the class is fast-moving, the expectations of the students high, and the culture both challenging and nurturing.
We’re looking for someone with both significant professional kitchen and teaching experience who has a passion for HBK’s mission: creating economic opportunity through careers in food. This position reports to the Training Program Director, a baking industry and culinary education veteran, who brings nearly two decades of industry experience and a passion for helping women succeed to the work.
• Class management, including maintaining thorough and accurate records of attendance, performance and test results
• Model proper professional kitchen etiquette and behavior
• Conduct regular assessments of trainees’ performance
• Provide regular feedback and guidance to trainees
Instruction in the following subjects:
Basic baking and pastry techniques
Basic culinary techniques
Kitchen-applicable math instruction
Food safety & sanitation
Required Skills and Experience:
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural and economic backgrounds
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in professional kitchens/production environments
• Significant teaching/training experience
• Passion for Hot Bread Kitchen’s mission
• Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and counsel people
• Extremely organized and attentive to detail
• Ability to multi -task and manage people, resources and time
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in all MS Office software, including Excel
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements and should be sent to: HR@HotBreadKitchen.org. Please include “Full-Time Instructor - Your Name" in the subject line. Hot Bread Kitchen is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting a diverse workplace.