Details: Approximately 20 hours per week. Weekly stipend of $360
1180 N. Milwaukee Ave., 2nd Floor
Through the art of creative writing, Young Chicago Authors helps young people from all backgrounds to understand the importance of their own stories and those of others, so that they can pursue the path they choose and work to make their community a more just and equitable place. YCA does this work through a variety of arts education programs in and out of schools, which expose young people to hip-hop realist portraiture and show them how to create their own authentic narratives. The capstone of YCA’s programming each year is the Louder Than A Bomb Chicago Youth Poetry Festival, which has 1,000 participants and more than 10,000 audience members.
YCA is seeking a talented and energetic Booking Assistant to join the team and work on booking performance and workshop opportunities for artists associated with YCA. These opportunities include but are not limited to: organizing book tours for The BreakBeat Poets anthologies, which include Vol. 2: Black Girl Magic and Vol. 3: Halal If You Hear Me; other book tours for published YCA artists like Kevin Coval, Britteney Black Rose Kapri, José Olivarez, and the Chicago Youth Poet Laureates; performances and workshops with the YCA Teaching Artist Core and various additional artists. Women of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To be based at the YCA office in Chicago, the Booking Assistant will work under the supervision and mentorship of the Booking Manager in planning and executing logistics for performances and speaking engagements related to the above. This position is both customer-facing and artist-facing which requires excellent communication and customer service skills. The candidate will work directly with artists and clients to manage all logistical aspects of speaking engagements and workshops. The Booking Assistant has direct responsibility for coordinating all aspects of the engagements and collaborating with other YCA staff to ensure seamless delivery. He/she/they must be self-driven with superb organizational skills and attention to detail. This position requires approximately twenty hours per week at the YCA office in Chicago, with a possibility for future growth.
- Assist Booking Manager in researching and strategizing potential book tour destinations, primarily throughout the US
- Promote book tour engagements to potential clients
- Secure all tour engagements
- Communicate with clients to schedule, confirm, and assist in all aspects of the speaking engagements in accordance with standard procedures
Assist in the execution of multiple events annually including:
• Serve as a liaison with client’s and speakers regarding all book tour events;
- Assist in managing the financials for all events, control expenses
- Co-Coordinate venue program logistics, including:
- Speaker travel and accommodations
- client communications
- merchandise and book sales
- Administer contract venues for each speaking event
- Process speaker honoraria/fee-for-service and expense payments
- Database all tour information and provide regular reports on status
- Work closely with other team members to ensure successful program execution
- Position may require travel to some events, with responsibility for on-site logistical management
At least 2 years of previous Arts Administration / Event Coordination experience is desired.
Minimum Education Required