The Fund for Public Health in New York City, (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The Bureau of Communicable Disease, within the Division of Disease Control, is responsible for monitoring and investigating 73 infectious diseases including COVID-19, viral hepatitis, foodborne, waterborne, vector-borne, and zoonotic diseases. The Bureau also monitors and analyzes trends in disease data and provides consultation to the medical community and the public on the recognition, prevention, and control of communicable diseases.
We are seeking one senior epidemiologist to support efforts in the Reportable Disease Data, Informatics, and Analysis Unit to detect space-time clusters of COVID-19 illnesses in near-real time in New York City, further developing processes described in Greene et al. 2016 (doi: 10.3201/eid2210.160097).
· Develop, test, automate, and maintain new cluster detection analyses using both previously released and next-generation versions of SaTScan software
· Maintain complex SAS code for existing routine cluster detection analyses to prepare input files, call SaTScan in batch mode, and process results
· Provide technical assistance in adopting cluster detection methods for other jurisdictions by developing virtual trainings and code and documentation for GitHub (https://github.com/CityOfNewYork/communicable-disease-surveillance-nycdohmh)
· Provide epidemiologic and statistical consultations and reviews to ensure scientific validity, statistical accuracy, and clarity of epidemiologic analyses, abstracts, and manuscripts
· Participate in analyst rotations for data cleaning and deduplication
· Contribute to DOHMH efforts to promote health equity and racial justice
· This position is equivalent to a City Research Scientist Assignment Level III. For Assignment Level I, the minimum qualification is a master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health. To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
· Advanced programming experience using SAS for data processing and manipulation required. Experience using R helpful but not required.
· Experience in infectious disease surveillance, outbreak investigation, and applied infectious disease epidemiology
· Ability to communicate complex technical details to a variety of audiences
· Excellent writing and interpersonal skills
· Keen attention to detail and curiosity
This position will work remotely. All necessary equipment and internet connection will be provided for staff to work from home. You must have a quiet, distraction-free work environment without any conflicting responsibilities during your scheduled work shift. This position could move on-site to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Gotham Center, 42-09 28th Street, Queens, NY 11101 at a later date.
Full-time, Temporary (7/1/20–4/30/22) w/potential for contract renewal
SALARY AND BENEFITS
FPHNYC offers a comprehensive benefits package. The salary range for this position is $84,468 to $97,138 and commensurate with experience.
To apply, send Resume, with Cover Letter, including salary requested and how your experience relates to this position here. We ask that you do not contact our staff directly and no phone inquiries please. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Fund for Public Health in New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply.
The Fund for Public Health in New York City, (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health…