777 6th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Legal Associate Editor, Publications
The American Association for Justice (AAJ) Publications Department is seeking an Associate Editor for Trial magazine, and the Professional Negligence Law Reporter and Products Liability Law Reporter. AAJ seeks to promote a fair and effective civil justice system—and to support the work of attorneys in their efforts to ensure that any person who is injured by the misconduct or negligence of others can obtain justice in America’s courtrooms, even when taking on the most powerful interests. Trial brings readers commentary and analysis of the latest legal trends and developments and informative articles about civil law practice.
AAJ is looking for an Associate Editor to:
• Write news and features for Trial (the monthly print magazine) and Trial News (biweekly online newsletter).
• Edit and rewrite content for style, clarity, and organization for all publications.
• Proofread content for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style for all publications.
• Solicit and evaluate manuscripts from outside authors and arrange for manuscript peer reviews for Trial.
• Research appropriate topics and authors.
• Participate in art meetings to develop illustration ideas for articles and magazine cover.
• Assist with other aspects of preparing topical issues of the magazine.
• A minimum of three years of publishing experience on a magazine, newsletter, and/or newspaper.
• JD degree or a minimum of three years of strong legal publishing experience required.
• Experience with an online environment is strongly desired.
• Excellent research, reporting, and news and feature writing skills.
• Ability to understand, substantively edit, and write about complex legal topics.
• Knowledge of tort law is strongly desired.
• Excellent proofreading skills and knowledge of AP style.
• Ability to deal tactfully with volunteer authors, peer reviewers, and association members.
• Superior organization skills and the ability to handle concurrent tasks and deadlines.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and produce top-quality work quickly and meet
• Fast learner who can quickly adapt to changing situations, take the initiative, and assume responsibilities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to HR@justice.org. EOE