Details: Salary range assumes New York location
DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 6, 2018.
ioby seeks a Communications Associate, preferably based in New York City, Memphis, Cleveland, Detroit, or Pittsburgh. The Communications Associate will play a critical role in building ioby’s brand and community through the development and creation of multimedia content and communications. Reporting to the Communications & Creative Strategy Director, this team member will work to establish ioby as the go-to platform for resident-led, positive neighborhood change, while growing and strengthening our community of resident leaders.
Responsibilities will include management of ioby’s editorial calendar; planning and production of written, video, and visual content; production of publications and reports; and management of ioby’s social media profiles, all with the goal of growing our community of resident leaders nationwide. For the right candidate, this position is an exciting opportunity to shape the growth of a mission-driven, community-based nonprofit tech startup while contributing to a broad movement of citizen-led neighborhood development.
Women, people of color and LGBTQ people are always strongly encouraged to apply.
ioby is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. ioby’s organizational policies, practices, programs, activities and decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, volunteerism, internships and other terms and conditions of employment or voluntary service shall not be based on a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, source of income, parental status, housing status, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable law.
- Write copy for a wide variety of materials, including email newsletters, web and blog copy, print collateral, and public-facing reports;
- Edit copy and finalize writing produced by all teams;
- Manage freelance writers and graphic designers in the production of regular content;
- Carry out minor graphic design of in-house produced collateral;
- Oversee production of print collateral, including reports and publications;
- Grow and manage a nationwide network of photography and video freelancers;
- Make regular updates to ioby.org pages;
- Research, write, and pitch story ideas to media outlets;
- Manage ioby’s social media accounts as a distribution channel, live broadcast tool, and a listening/conversation tool;
- Research and grow ioby’s list of partners, allies, and constituents by direct outreach over social media and email;
- Respond to general inbound inquiries from ioby’s community;
- Provide communication support and copy for our marketing, sales, and customer service teams;
- Assist with ioby’s public-facing programs and fundraising events as needed
Candidates for this position must have:
- Deep commitment and fulfillment derived from working on a team;
- Demonstrated ability to produce publish-ready copy quickly and in a variety of tones and voices;
- Natural meticulousness and attention to detail, particularly with regard to copy editing;
- Excellent communication and time-management skills: must be deadline-driven by nature;
- Love of engaging with strangers and constituents in a patient, friendly and timely manner;
- Respect and tact when working with new communities, ability to adapt and respond to context;
- Proven experience managing a number of vendors, freelancers, and contractors at once;
- Basic graphic design skills;
- Omnivorous curiosity; ability to quickly research and distill unfamiliar topics;
- Able to experiment and thoughtfully evaluate one’s own work
Exceptional candidates will also have:
- Experience with marketing concepts such as email automation, SEO, and content targeting;
- Experience working in a startup nonprofit environment;
- Advanced skill using all Adobe Creative Suite tools;
- Experience working on a distributed team;
- Familiarity working with reporters and media outlets;
- Experience managing a crowdfunding campaign;
- 3+ years experience as a journalist, copywriter or other written-content focused role;
- Basic knowledge of video production and editing;
- Experience working with a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion framework
ioby has offices New York City, Memphis, Cleveland, Detroit, and Pittsburgh, and location in one of these cities is preferable but not required. ioby’s regular business hours are 9-6pm Monday through Friday. ioby is a startup: You’ll be expected to bring new ideas, strategies, revise your work on short timelines and bring an attitude of continuous improvement and a culture of innovation.
This is a full-time, salaried position in the $45,000-60,000 range (assuming Brooklyn location), commensurate with experience, and includes a generous benefit package (including full coverage for health, eye and dental, a minimum of 27 PTO days in addition to holidays, and an attractive "Whole Person" policy).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit ioby.org/jobs to apply. No phone calls, please.