720 2nd Ave
United Way of King County's Free Tax Campaign helps low-income families increase their economic stability by connecting them with free tax preparation services, access to public benefits, and asset building opportunities. In 2018, over 1,000 volunteers prepared 23,200 tax returns, returning $31.6 million in tax refunds and credits back to the community. The Free Tax Preparation Campaign will offer services at more than 30 sites throughout King County in 2019. Each site will be staffed by volunteers and at least one paid Site Manager.
Site Managers must provide strong customer service to low- and middle-income clients coming into sites, ensure quality in the tax returns filed, and successfully manage the volunteers that staff the site. Tax law knowledge is a plus but not required. Those hired with little to no tax law experience will be asked to attend additional training provided by United Way.
- Oversee preparation of tax returns and confirm all returns are correct.
- Provide exceptional support to volunteers, managing and answering any questions they may have.
- Provide excellent customer service to clients coming into the site, resolving issues and making sure clients receive all the services for which they are eligible.
- Transmit tax returns to IRS Service Center and follow up on all rejected returns in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoot technology issues such as printer installation, networking issues, or minor laptop malfunctions.
- Submit reports and communicate with Tax Campaign staff each week during tax season.
This position is seasonal. Site Managers are hired from January 15, 2019 to April 18, 2019, and are scheduled to work 15-40 hours per week (depending on the hours of the site). Upon hire, they are required to independently complete IRS online tax law training and certification tests. Site Managers are also required to attend 2 full days and 3 nights of site manager trainings on November 17th, November 27th, December 1st, December 12th, and January 3rd. In addition, it is also a requirement for the Site Manager to attend 4 volunteer training sessions between December and January to assist with volunteer training.
The hourly wage is $17/hour and the position is open until filed.
- Burien: Burien Community Center; Mondays and Tuesdays: 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Seattle: Douglas-Truth Library; Tuesdays and Thursdays: 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Seattle: University Branch Library; Thursdays and Saturdays: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (tentative)
- Seattle: Solid Ground; Tuesdays: 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM; Saturdays 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Seattle: El Centro De La Raza (Spanish Required): Tuesdays 5:00PM to 9:00PM; Thursdays 5:00PM to 9:00PM; Saturdays 10:00AM to 4:00PM
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to stay calm in high-stress, face-paced environment.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated passion for helping low-income families and individuals build assets.
- Volunteer or Program Management experience.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience with individual tax returns or the ability to learn tax law. Prior knowledge of tax law is helpful.
- Ability to quickly learn tax prep software TaxSlayer software.
- Ability to speak a second language (Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian or East African language such as Amharic) preferred.
- Computer skills and experience in troubleshooting hardware (laptops and printers) a plus.
Education and/or Experience
Associates’ degree or equivalent experience, or advanced courses in accounting, computers, or related field preferred; at least 1 (or 2+) years’ experience in supervision of staff or volunteers, education, or management of programs. Tax preparation background is a plus.
Diversity and inclusion are at the heart of what it means to LIVE UNITED. We strongly encourage people of color to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Ability to speak a second language (Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian or East African language such as Amharic) preferred.
Minimum Education Required