The Senior Communications Associate coordinates all public communications activities for United Neighborhood Houses of New York (UNH), and is responsible for: helping UNH join and lead important policy- and advocacy-related conversations through social and other medias; creating a consistent and professional look to UNH’s materials and communications; and supporting the peer learning among communications staff of UNH member organizations. This work includes managing UNH’s website content, maintaining press contacts and writing press releases, and the production and design of reports and policy briefs published by UNH.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Help create and monitor a consistent look for all UNH invitations, event flyers, and mailings.
• Maintain a list of press contacts and coordinating press communications, in particular working with UNH’s Policy and Advocacy staff to reach out to and provide policy and budget campaign information to the media, and help coordinate press calls and interviews. Some of this work may involve generating ideas to pitch to press, briefing reporters prior to interviews and follow-up/cultivation when necessary.
• Coordinate with UNH staff to write opinion pieces and press releases.
• Maintain UNH website, updating/editing information, creating advocacy and publication alerts, providing regular statistical reports on website performance, and coordinating website improvement.
• Coordinate a quarterly newsletter (one paper version a year), writing articles, formatting content, selection of photos, and managing printing of the annual hardcopy newsletter.
• Coordinate UNH Facebook, Youtube, Flickr, and Twitter accounts working with UNH staff to generate content and to develop contests and campaigns, report statistics and set agency goals.
• Create videos, photos, client interviews, and other content for UNH publication and fundraising campaigns.
• Provide support for audio-visual needs for meetings and presentations at UNH.
• Coordinate Annual Report and other external publications working with UNH staff, writing and editing as needed.
• Coordinate graphic designer, printer, and mailing house.
• Assess new communications-related technologies.
• Provide support to UNH staff with coordination of events and publicizing these events.
• Provide UNH info to media and general public at events.
• Co-facilitate a Communications Committee of the UNH Board of Directors
• Coordinate the Communications Workgroup, a peer learning group comprised of communications staff from UNH member organizations.
• Develop and oversee the work of a Communications Intern.
Qualifications and Education:
• Advanced knowledge and strategic utilization of social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, other platforms) in the nonprofit environment
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Video and photo editing experience a plus
• Excellent organizational skills, with attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to set and meet targets and deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and with a small team
• Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic design software
• Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or related degree preferred but not necessary
• Related nonprofit work experience, and knowledge of and work in advocacy preferred
Ideal candidate must be dependable, hardworking and able to generate new ideas – and use new platforms – to increase UNH’s profile.
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent medical, dental and retirement plans.
Minimum Education Required