108 East 15th Street
Vineyard Theatre is a $3 million Off-Broadway theatre. Entering its 36th Season, The Vineyard is committed to creating an artistic home for daring and diverse artists, to nurturing their unique voices, and to engaging our audiences and community in dialogue by producing work that challenges all of us to see ourselves and our world in new ways, and that pushes the boundaries of what theatre can be and do.
The Director of Communications and Design (DC&D) serves in a leadership role in the marketing department at The Vineyard, which is responsible for $700k-$1.1 million in membership and ticketing income annually. The DC&D will work closely with the Artistic Directors to build a visual and written communications strategy that articulates their artistic vision for our mainstage and developmental lab productions. The position works in close partnership with the Managing Director to utilize industry best practices in marketing and communications strategy. The DC&D will be a critical teammate for the Director of Marketing in developing marketing plans that will keep The Vineyard brand fresh to our loyal patrons, and that will attract new audiences. Within the next two seasons Vineyard Theatre will be developing an institutional communications plan, refreshed logo and new website, and this team member will work closely with a consulting firm on this and other projects. This is a hands-on position for a creative individual who will bring wit and inspiration to all aspects of their role. The position requires the ability efficiently execute a range of graphic design projects, while also thinking big picture.
This is a full time exempt position, and includes occasional work on nights and weekends as necessary.
- 3-5 years of graphic design, art direction and communications experience.
- High competency user of Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Office suite, Facebook and Google Ad platforms, HTML design, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro, required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, ability to work in teams and communicate a coherent vision to a group while also incorporating feedback on those ideas is a must-have.
- A successful applicant will be able to articulate a history of advocating for diversity, equity, and inclusion in their work.
- Preference given to candidates with photography, video and audio production skills (photography, videography, podcast recordings from inception through editing)
- Must be able to navigate stairs and lift 15 lbs.
- Direct, oversee and implement the overall branding for Vineyard Theatre maintaining a brand awareness on new media platforms
- Execute and oversee the creation and quality of all marketing materials
- Draft text for all marketing materials
- Partner with press representative to draft all press releases and collect necessary information from artistic departments
- Design assets for internal design projects including:
- Season brochures
- Single ticket mailers
- Onsite posters
- Web ads
- Website assets
- Letterhead and business cards
- Manage the creation of the production playbill: gather and input bios, headshots, donor recognition, development donor listings and related content to get to print by deadline
- Manage and provide creative direction for outside advertising agencies (currently AKA), designers, photographers, and videographers.
- Act as point of contact for account manager of outside advertising agency
- Oversee the website and manage site updates
- Design the creative and draft text for email blasts including our purchased eblasts and templates for internal eblasts
- Manage the company’s social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Through these platforms, this position will function as the voice of The Vineyard and be one of the first points of contact for many patrons
- Devise and manage the implementation of new and interesting ways to get audiences into The Vineyard
- Partner with Director of Development to create campaign strategies and create fundraising materials for Development department including:
- Gala invitation, program, slideshow and other event materials
- Additional event invitations
- Brochures and other documents targeted at high level donors
- Crowd-funding sites
- Annual Report
- Direct and produce multimedia assets for the marketing and development departments including:
- Fundraising videos
- Behind-the-scenes videos
- Production b-roll footage
- Red carpet interviews
- Additional digital projects that expand The Vineyard brand
- Communicate institutional communication and design initiatives to the Board and sit in on relevant committees
- Other duties as assigned
Full time benefits include health insurance (100% covered by Vineyard Theatre), vision and dental insurance (employee contributes), 10 days vacation, 10 staff holidays, life insurance, and commuter
Minimum Education Required