XQ’s mission is to fuel, inspire and catalyze America’s collective creativity in order to transform our high schools so every student can succeed. XQ: The Super School Project launched in September 2015 as an open call to rethink and design the American high school. More than 10,000 students, educators, parents and community leaders from all 50 states and representing nearly 4,000 communities answered this call by proposing innovative, student-centered models for 21st century learning. To date, XQ has pledged over $100 million to a growing number of the most promising ideas, actively supporting these teams on their journeys to become Super Schools.
To meet its ambitious goals, XQ Super Schools is looking for a Director of External Affairs (“Director”) to join our team.
Reporting to the Managing Director for State and Local Partnerships, the Director will be crucial as XQ scales its work by supporting partnerships between XQ and national, state and local organizations. The Director will work across a number of teams within the XQ Institute,helping to grow and maintain XQ’s relationships with nonprofits, policymakers, individuals and companies. The Director will be knowledgeable about the education sector and the impact the development of innovative public schools. This role will require a high degree of stakeholder and project management.
· Develop a strategy and structure for external relationships that support the mission of XQ;
· Expand and drive external relationships with key partners;
· With the database manager and coordinating with other Directors, create clear and strategic methods of communication with key stakeholders;
· Identify opportunities for and support XQ presence at conferences, forums and activities;
· Support public policy relationships and engagement with policymakers;
· Manage the external outreach to support major initiatives and movement building of XQ;
· Represent the organization at relevant meetings, events and forums;
· As needed, manage external public policy and outreach firms that support XQ;
Qualifications and Experience
· A minimum of seven years of experience, in an organization that works in the education sector.
· Experience working in a school, district, education agency (preferred)
· Possession of graduate degree in education or policy
· Project management experience;
· Knowledge of the education policy landscape, particularly at the state and district level;
· Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively in engage stakeholders and reporting progress on large scale projects;
· Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously and track complex tasks across multiple stakeholders;
· Ability to adapt to challenges and opportunities with a solution-oriented perspective;
· Excellent analytic and communication skills (both oral and written, and in a variety of formats and contexts);
· Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to connect with and develop relationships with a wide range of individuals;
· Meticulously organized and detailed;
· Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
· Demonstrated passion for equity in education.
· A commitment to the mission and goals of XQ.
· Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as assigned;
· Ability to travel 30% of the time.
• XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ promoting, celebrating, and supporting
diversity is a core value. Individuals are considered without regards to race, gender, age, sexual
orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry.
Minimum Education Required