1617 John F Kennedy Boulevard
Earthjustice is now accepting applications for a Staff Attorney to join our team of lawyers and advocates who are using the power of the law to speed the transition of our nation’s energy system away from dirty fossil fuels and to promote clean energy in its stead. The position will preferably be based in our Philadelphia, Pennsylvania office, but for the right candidate we would also consider placing the position in Chicago, Washington DC, or New York City.
While the position will be housed in Earthjustice’s Coal Program, the Staff Attorney’s work will focus on challenging proposed gas-fired power plants and related infrastructure to help ensure that as coal plants retire they are replaced with clean energy, rather than new gas capacity. The Staff Attorney will be tasked with advancing and expanding Earthjustice’s current gas docket, especially in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, primarily through increased engagement in state public utility commissions that oversee resource planning and cost recovery by regulated utilities. The attorney will work closely with staff in our Coal and Clean Energy Programs who have years of experience litigating in public utility commissions and other forums where many of the decisions about our nation’s energy future are made. Click here for more information about the Coal Program, and here for the Clean Energy Program.
The position locations are Philadelphia, PA (preferred), Chicago, IL, Washington, DC, or New York, NY
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization with a distinguished track record of achieving significant and lasting environmental protections. We hire the best and the brightest to take on critical, precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of the law and the strength of partnerships to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to speed the transition from coal to clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with other organizations, supporters, and community members to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
- Litigate cases from beginning to end, performing all aspects of litigation.
- Develop litigation and legal advocacy strategies to support program goals.
- Collaborate and manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Cultivate new clients, allies, and coalition partners in support of program goals.
- Supervise the work of Associate Attorneys and Litigation Assistants.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice, clients, and partners.
- Help develop and execute effective media strategies.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation.
- Law school graduates who are admitted, or willing to apply for admission, to the state bar where they are located.
- A minimum of 7 years of litigation experience.
- Excellent litigation skills, including top-notch legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills, with a strong preference for affirmative litigation experience
- Ability to manage a litigation docket effectively, lead a litigation team, and work collaboratively with colleagues and partner organizations
- Knowledge and experience in energy law and issues is strongly preferred.
- Proficient at working with technical experts.
- Strong skills in communicating litigation and advocacy goals and messages to the media.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with client partners and staff
- Strong and demonstrated initiative, good judgment, and work ethic
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for case work, court appearances, and presentations.
- Commitment to serving the public interest, and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Commitment to help create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a:
- Cover letter that addresses why you want to work at Earthjustice and/or what life experiences draw you to Earthjustice’s mission.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work.
- List of three references.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies