1319 F Street, NW
About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 175 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 375,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the Role:
The User Experience Team within Network Engagement focuses on facilitating all aspects of the First Book Network’s user interaction with First Book, including marketing communication. The goal of this role and of this team is to grow the First Book Network and engage more educators and programs serving children in need, in an effort to distribute more free and low-cost resources to those who need them most. This specific position oversees the development and execution of the digital marketing strategy to drive the distribution of resources through our ecommerce platforms via the use of multi-media marketing channels, as well as monitoring and enhancing the user’s experience as they path through the site. This position is responsible for leading and managing a team around brainstorming and implementing new and innovative ideas to grow the First Book network of educators and convert more members to users.
Essential Skills, Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Other duties may be assigned.
· Leading the creative development and execution of annual and quarterly digital marketing strategies to maximize the amount of resources that are distributed to the First Book Network. This includes:
o Drafting strategy documents based on goals and performance indicators.
o Circulating and socializing the strategy across the organization, including among members of the senior and executive teams.
o Presenting strategy to external partners as it pertains to relationship development.
o Delegating executional tasks to the User Experience team.
o Gathering the data needed to create business cases for any internal or external funding needed to execute on marketing strategy.
o Monitoring reporting and circulating results with the organization, and guiding shifts in strategy based on results.
o Working with our New Business Team to craft packages that can be funded by partners to fund-raise for the required budget to execute on the strategy.
· Developing and executing on a Digital Ad strategy as laid out in the annual and quarterly strategy. This includes:
o Leading the team through the creative thinking needed to execute a successful ad strategy for custom audiences to drive the distribution of resources, promote registration, and promote partner objectives. This includes but is not limited to Facebook Ads, Google Adwords, Google Display, and any affiliate ads used.
o Comprehensive reporting and guidance through daily management to maximize conversion through each ad group.
o Guide the team through creating custom landing pages and marketing assets to drive conversion after the initial ad click.
· Stay current on web and e-commerce trends and champion new tactics that will help the organization maximize their online reach to drive conversion. This includes:
o Proactively seeking training for the User Experience team.
o Working with the Strategic Alliances and New Business Teams to seek training (skills-based volunteerism opportunities) from corporate partners succeeding in the digital space.
o Crafting the resulting strategy and circulating the results of the impact that came from third party training.
· Managing the internal cost and external costs of resources needed to continue to meet the organizational goals. This includes:
o Drafting and presenting business cases to the organization’s technology panel for new tools needed.
o Monitoring the cross-departmental resources needed to execute on new tools and strategy.
o Reporting on the results of new tools, once implemented, as they pertain to the organization’s goals.
· Leading the team in monitoring and enhancing the user experience of our e-commerce platform. This includes:
o Working closely with IT to ensure that site changes are being made on a weekly basis.
o Overseeing user testing and focus groups designed to inform changes made to overall user experience.
o Providing insight and guidance into the prioritization of IT time as it pertains to the business.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· A minimum of 10 years of work experience required in the Digital Marketing space.
· Must have experience leading digital marketing team and proven track record of driving conversion and performance through e-commerce.
· Must be knowledgeable and up to date on e-mail marketing best practices and maximizing marketing efforts in this space.
· Experience with Facebook and Google ad placement required.
· Experience with affiliate marketing programs and tools a plus.
· Experience with Google Analytics a must and Kissmetics is a plus.
· Must possess good oral and written communication skills.
· Must have a firm grasp on user experience best practices in the digital space.
· Marketing and copywriting experience required.
· Knowledge of IT processes required.
· Experience with Salesforce and Pardot or similar email marketing experience a huge plus.
· Adobe Photoshop knowledge is a plus.
· Must have an entrepreneurial spirit, proven track record for showing initiative, and a solutions-oriented approach to opportunities and challenges.
· Must be a proven leader committed to the growth of a team.
· Must possess a private sector head and a public-sector heart. Ability to leverage private sector experience in public sector preferred.
· Must have the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
· Must be willing to travel several times a year.
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Minimum Education Required