Details: $16 - $17 per Hour
Make a difference in the lives of New York City’s older adults, their families and the community. For over 50 years PSS has performed vital and important work -- through its nine centers, two apartment buildings and affiliated programs, the agency touches the lives of over 1,000 people a day. As the Cook at one of our senior centers you will be responsible for planning, cooking, and serving nutritious meals to our seniors; supervising kitchen staff; following food safety standards and guidelines in keeping our members healthy, engaged and connected. The role of the Cook is crucial since the meals at the senior center are vital in the life of our senior members who rely on us daily.
This is a full-time non-exempt position that reports directly to the Center Director.
- Prepare menus
- Prepare, cook and supervise portioning and rationing of meals.
- Submit food order in a timely manner
- Work with Senior Center Director to price food and supplies in accordance with Center budget.
- Receive food purchased, checking delivered food for price and weight, quantity and quality (free from swelling, bulges, dents, mold, leaks, odor and spoilage).
- Oversee proper food storage; dating all food received and using the FIFO code (First In First Out) and checking for proper rotation.
- Research and learn new recipes to provide a variety of meals.
- Keep record of food temperature and equipment temperature.
- Responsible for the proper functioning and overall cleaning of the kitchen equipment and work surfaces, and maintaining sanitation standards.
- Maintain daily food use records and conduct monthly physical food inventory.
- Supervise and train WEP workers, Title V workers, volunteers and all kitchen helpers.
Qualifications and Experience:
· One year experience as a professional cook
· Must hold a valid food protection and handler certification
· Physical stamina is required with the ability to lift heavy objects and work for long periods while standing
· Experience working with Older Adults preferred
· Excellent Interpersonal Skills
· Good understanding of Food Service Management preferred
· Bilingual fluency (English/Spanish) desirable
Professionalism and other qualities:
· Ability to work well independently and on a team
· Maturity and good judgment in relating to peers, partners, and families
· Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
· Availability, dependability, and willingness to be flexible
· Demonstrated ability to solve problems and think strategically
Competitive Benefits Package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Must hold a valid food protection and handler certification