HIAS seeks a Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer to provide technical guidance and support to develop and improve systems to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness, strategic alignment, cost, and overall impact of HIAS’ refugee assistance programs in Africa and Eurasia (Afr/Eur) Region, including but not limited to Kenya, Chad, Greece, Israel, and Austria. S/he contributes to the development and implementation of organization-wide monitoring and evaluation policies, systems, and tools for evidence generation in the Afr/Eur region. S/he is responsible for data analysis and database development support in the Afr/Eur region, ensuring both data quality and general compliance and results reporting on programmatic performance progress against program goals and deliverables.
The Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer supports HIAS’ central M&E team both in establishing a consistent M&E practice across all Afr/Eur country offices and in strengthening the integration between country offices and HIAS HQ in order to maintain program quality and implement M&E standards. With the support and under the direction of the M&E department, the Regional M&E Officer is responsible for building the capacity of country office staff and providing in-country and remote support. S/he works closely with the Afr/Eur country program teams and HQ technical directors to deliver on essential duties.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supports the continued improvement and institutionalization of key M&E standards, processes, and systems/tools that support our organizational planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting requirements in the Afr/Eur region.
- Participates in program design and supports Programs teams to develop and refine objectives, support indicator selection and measurement, and create/contribute to M&E plans and/or frameworks.
- Liaises with program and M&E staff in the region to ensure robust data collection across country offices, standardizing collection methods, results, and analysis as much as possible.
- Provides remote and on-site training for relevant office staff (including Country Directors and key staff) on best practices in data collection, program management, and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) strategies.
- Travels to field offices across Afr/Eur region to monitor program implementation, provide operational assistance, and support compliance with program management standards. May conduct extended travel (up to several weeks) to develop M&E capacity in field offices and train relevant staff.
- At a regional and country level, supports and facilitates quarterly reflection sessions for program staff on data for programmatic decision-making and alignment.
- Supports the implementation of organizational research and learning priorities in the Afr/Eur region.
- Implements best practices and policies for M&E.
- Supports other M&E functions, as delegated
Data Management and Results Reporting
- Tracks, analyzes, and regularly reports on program indicators, progress against targets, program successes, and lessons learned.
- Supports donor compliance and the submission of on-time, quality reports that clearly articulate progress against indicators and other relevant items.
- Performs basic and intermediate statistical analysis from databases and through statistical programming, including developing baseline assessments and tracking data and progress against baselines.
- Develops and produces charts, graphs, infographics, and other visual representations of program activities and accomplishments; aggregates reporting at the country office and regional level; supports organizational-level reporting.
- Conducts data checks to ensure data quality related to analysis and research.
- Collaborates with IT and other relevant staff to contribute to the development of data management platforms, refine database parameters and to ensure platforms accurately measure program activity data.
- Participates in relevant Working Groups that are essential to perform her/his duties (e.g. M&E WG, collaboration project with IT etc.)
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in relevant field is required; graduate degree highly preferred.
- A minimum of two to five (2-5) years of work experience and experience in M&E and/or program management strongly preferred.
- English and French fluency required (oral and written).
- Strong background in social justice, human rights and/or refugee issues is preferred.
- Ability to manage, track and report on program data; proficiency with Excel in tracking and analyzing data.
- Experience in use of data management systems and/or statistical software packages highly preferred.
- Ability to travel to all countries in the Africa/Eurasia region, as needed.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including familiarity with writing funder reports, SOPs, and other program management documents.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent critical thinking skills; ability to multi-task.
- Must have authorization to work in Kenya.