Associate Chairperson, English Department - Previous applicants need not re-apply
- Job posted by Middlesex County College
2600 Woodbridge Avenue
PO Box 3050
CLOSING DATE:10/22/18 11:59 PM
REPORTS TO: Department Chair, English
1. Under the direction and supervision of the department chair, identifies and recruits
new adjunct faculty and oversees adjunct faculty development; evaluates and
mentors adjunct faculty.
2. Provides departmental services to students, including advising students regarding
coursework, approving student course schedules, program changes, and course
substitutions; resolving student conflict issues; and participation in student
recruitment activities with department chair and Admissions staff.
3. Oversees the development of curriculum materials (including syllabi, supplements,
course outlines, abstracts, etc.) that follow college governance protocols and
4. Guides efforts to integrate technology into composition courses.
5. In collaboration with the chair of the department, serves on Writing Center
committees and works closely with Writing Center staff/tutors to help provide training
in appropriate writing and tutoring techniques.
6. Assists the department chair in scheduling courses.
7. Assists the department chair with supervision of support staff.
8. Assists in the development and implementation of departmental and divisional
assessment activities, including course and program assessment.
9. Assists in research projects and grant writing.
10. Assists the department chair in planning, implementing, and monitoring departmental
operating and capital budgets.
11. Participates in the development, achievement and evaluation of strategic plans and
procedures for the department.
12. Serves on departmental, divisional and campus-wide committees and initiatives,
including Division Council, College Assembly, and other college-wide committees.
13. Performs other appropriate duties, as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:• Master's Degree in English, Composition and Rhetoric, or Comparative Literature
• Three years teaching experience at the college level
• One year administrative or leadership experience
• Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
SCHEDULE: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
RETIREMENT: Pension Eligible
Any Middlesex County College employee hired after September 1, 2011 will have to meet the New Jersey residency law requirement.
Minimum Education Required