Danbury Animal Welfare Society (DAWS) is the region’s leading companion animal welfare organization, placing more than 900 animals annually in forever homes, providing pet owners with low-cost veterinary care through its in-house clinic, and educating the public about critical issues related to companion animal welfare.
More than 200 volunteers and staff members contribute to the success of DAWS, a 501c(3) organization with headquarters in Bethel, Conn. that relies heavily on contributed income to advance its life-saving mission. Its related marketing objectives include selling tickets to its annual events, promoting the adoption of DAWS animals, and raising the organization’s visibility with the general public.
DAWS seeks a detail oriented, organized and creative development/marketing professional who is seeking to grow in their career. This individual will be expected to find innovative ways to expand DAWS’ donor base, grow its contributed income bottom line, increase participation in its events, and lead an ambitious capital campaign. We are looking for an individual who is acknowledged for their leadership capability and integrity. The selected candidate will work well under pressure and have excellent listening and time management skills. Fostering, cultivating, and maintaining relationships within the community will be a primary focus.
Marketing responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement mail, online, social media and event-based campaigns in support of its objectives.
- Manage usage, maintenance and reporting of the Donor Perfect database (database which houses all donor information).
- Utilize and leverage information in the Donor Perfect database to cultivate and maintain relationships with donors and to generate additional capital.
- Manage all aspects of DAWS social media presence for branding and donations.
- Lead the organization’s e-mail marketing initiative.
- Media relations, including pitching stories and serving as a spokesperson as needed.
- Coordinate materials related to events including external communications, printed materials, and social media presence.
Development responsibilities include:
- Identify, educate, steward, and cultivate a portfolio of major individual donors and corporate supporters.
- Manage, coordinate, and provide leadership for a capital campaign to renovate the DAWS shelter.
- Develop and implement an ongoing campaign to all past adopters focused on ongoing giving.
- Develop strong networks within the local community. Identify target audiences and build appropriate recruitment and fundraising strategies to successfully recruit, acknowledge, and retain and upgrade event donors/sponsors/teams and participants.
- Manage a portfolio of annual giving prospects.
- Research through networking and creative channels ways to apply for grants; ensure compliance with reporting requirements.
- Assist in the coordination and execution of fundraising events including an annual gala, and 5K Run with field support event staff.
- Manage and keep up-to-date advancement plan with funding goals, current status, and plan for meeting goals.
- Participate and collaborate with DAWS’ business fundraising partner programs.
- Supervise processing and donor recognition for over $350,000 (TBD) in annual general fund giving.
The Development and Marketing Manager will engage and motivate staff and volunteers and report monthly to the Board of Directors about the department’s initiatives. Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- 1 – 3 years professional fund-raising experience, with a corresponding successful track record in marketing initiatives.
- Strategic thinker with entrepreneurial outlook
- Knowledge and experience of stewardship and donor relations
- A track record of leadership, taking initiative, and relentlessly pursuing results
- Tech savvy and comfortable on multiple platforms; Donor Perfect or other donor database experience preferred
- Excellent analytical skills and meticulous attention to detail
- A social media native, fluent in best practices.
- Outstanding relationship building, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented, organized, able to manage time well and meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to produce compelling written material
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances; comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage projects and teams with minimal direction, a growth mindset, and a can-do attitude
- An optimistic outlook and a deep commitment to the mission of DAWS
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.