The mission of EastSide Arts Alliance is to unite art with activism to build community power and cultural development, and to use art to bridge and unite the racially and ethnically divided, disenfranchised communities that reside in the San Antonio neighborhood of Oakland, California, and in the broader East Bay.
EastSide Arts Alliance is a collective of artists, cultural workers, and community organizers of color who live and/or work in the San Antonio neighborhood. Through progressive programming and cultural organizing, EastSide Arts Alliance promotes community sustainability for future generations through self-determination, political and cultural awareness, and leadership development. Toward this vision, we built, own, and operate a community cultural arts center with a gallery and bookstore. This center serves as a unifying, neighborhood-gathering place to house the organization’s on-going activities and other cultural performances and events initiated by residents and local artists.
The Director of Operations provides day-to-day leadership and management to ensure the fulfillment of Eastside Arts Alliance mission and core values. They are responsible for key aspects of administrative and human resource operations for the EastSide Arts Alliance.
This position shall work closely with the EastSide Arts Alliance Leadership Collective with direction and co-leadership from the Fund Development, Administrative, and Facility & Theater Operations team leads. This is a 35 hour/week, exempt position.
This is a new position for the EastSide Arts Alliance and will be tasked to meet its responsibilities through direct implementation, and through spearheading the development of templates and processes that meet the collective’s needs. Including the task of centralizing organization of information, leading the communication, and the guiding of staff in implementation of processes, once developed.
- Supervise administrative operations of EastSide Arts Alliance, working closely with the EastSide Arts Alliance Leadership Collective.
Financial and Accounting Management
- Support the Development Director and the EastSide Leadership Collective’s respective teams in developing annual budgets that are reflective of staff’s program planning. This may include the developing templates, collecting and consolidating information and then moving overall budgets through review, approval, and filing processes.
- Support the coordination of Board meetings and the preparation of financial and other relevant documents for the Board to review.
- Provide budget oversight, support, and guidance to the EastSide Leadership Collective and staff in collaboration with the Facility & Theater Operations Team.
- Support the Development Director by utilizing Salesforce software for tracking individual donor gifts, and by utilizing Quickbooks for reconciling donations.
- Lead the coordination of CPA contract and of submission of annual audit and annual IRS form 990.
- Provide oversight on EastSide Arts & Housing, LLC budgets, and financial statements, and provide quarterly reports to the EastSide Arts Alliance Collective
Human Resources and Planning
- Manage the human resources processes of EastSide Arts Alliance, working closely with the EastSide Arts Alliance Leadership Collective.
- Maintain complete, up to date, and confidential personnel files.
- Process HR-related documents, including benefits, workers compensation, leave requests, on-boarding, etc.
- Update personnel handbook with input from the EastSide Arts Alliance Collective every two years.
- Coordinate recruitment of talent for open positions, including the development of job descriptions, coordinating the recruitment and screening of candidates, and working with EastSide Leadership Collective in scheduling interviews, decision-making, and planning the on-boarding new staff.
- Oversee the administration of contracts, including the coordination with internal and external parties, coordinating of relevant communication, tracking the disbursement or invoicing of funds, and tracking statuses.
- For ‘Service Contracts’ - Soliciting estimates from vendors and negotiating rates for services. Ensuring that service contract agreements are met and vendors are paid.
- For Art Production & Programmatic’ Contracts - Work with artist and Program Directors and/or Development Director in developing MOU’s and fiscal sponsorship agreements with thorough details and clear deliverables and deadlines.
- Maintain, renew, and update agency insurance policies
- Manage the communication, contract agreement, and record-keeping for Cultural Center’s facility-use leases and subleases with external parties. Followed by the coordination with EastSide Leadership Collective and relevant staff, as needed.
- Provide in-person operational reports at one staff meeting per month.
- Develop and launch EastSide’s organizational google suite in partnership with key staff.
Relationship and Community Building
- Support EastSide Arts Alliance in meeting its mission through attending a minimum of one event per month in the Cultural Center, 2285 Gallery or Bookstore. This is designed to both support event staffing as well as to gain a deeper understanding of how EastSide Arts Alliance’s programming relates to our fiscal and operational systems
- Participate in quarterly, facilitated political education discussion groups with the EastSide Arts Alliance staff.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 3-5 years working in operations for a nonprofit/social enterprise organization
- Experience with facility operations, preventative maintenance, and repairs for a highly trafficked multi-use community cultural center
- Ability to prioritize and execute multiple time-sensitive priorities with precision and integrity
- Excellent leadership and organizational abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to navigate and pivot with changing circumstances and dynamics
- Minimum 3 years experience using QuickBooks software; Salesforce software experience a plus
- Ability to work with staff of diverse age and cultural backgrounds
- Must be organized, efficient, accurate, and able to focus in a busy, sometimes chaotic environment
- Experience working with and commitment to supporting the work of artists of color in community environments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts Administration, Public Administration or Accounting
Nice to Have Skills and Experience:
- At least 3-5 years of staff supervision experience
- Experience coaching staff in leadership development
- Experience working with artists and creatives to co-creating content strategies
- Working knowledge of database tools, how to construct custom queries, and leverage data for decision making.
Commitment: 35 hours/week
EastSide Arts Alliance requests a minimum one-year commitment.
Compensation: $75,000 Salaried
BENEFITS: Kaiser Permanente Medical Insurance, Workers Compensation, SEP IRA,
12 paid holidays and accrued vacation and sick time.