The Communications and Press Officer will work with the US Bureau Director and the Paris-based communications team to grow RSF’s visibility and impact across the North American media.
Cultivate media relations
- Identify and maintain relationships with journalists (print, online, TV) and other influencers (comedy world, tech world, etc.) to engage on RSF’s priorities in order to ensure greater coverage, exposure of RSF’s work, and increase visibility.
- Pitch and book interviews for RSF US Bureau director and other subject matter experts
- Maintain press list and send communications
- Answer media inquiries where applicable
- Pitch topics and content for RSF to publish (press releases, social media posts, and more)
- Continually brainstorm new ideas to increase visibility and outreach
Implement RSF North America communications strategy
- Grow our social media presence and engagement
- Curate content for social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram)
- Monitor trends and influencers on social media to gauge appropriate type of reaction/time to post, trending topics, news stories, new accounts to follow, strategic follows to gain more followers
- Reply to messages on social media accounts (RSF_en, Facebook RSF, USA, Instagram, etc.)
- Identify new opportunities to engage on emerging platforms
- Write the monthly newsletter and coordinate with the Development Manager on fundraising email, letters to donors, etc.
- Write various other types of publications such as op-eds, blog posts, press releases, etc.
- Proofread English language publications translated from Paris headquarters
- Assist in production of English-versions of Advocacy videos (in collaboration with Paris comms team)
- Prepare and manage events
- Some travel internationally and domestically
- 1-3 years experience in journalism, communications, PR nonprofits, campaigns, on advocacy organization, or similar
- Existing contacts within North American media
- Fluent in English; some knowledge of French is also very helpful
- Strong writing skills and an eye for proofreading
- A proactive and creative thinker willing to bring new ideas to the table
- Some basic graphic design knowledge is a plus, but not required
- Comfort working in an international organization and interacting with people from different countries and cultures
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Willing to commute to the Washington, DC office at least twice per week–we have a hybrid in-person/remote model
Reporters Without Borders provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.