This is a professional position that works independently and applies general accounting principles covering the accounting and expenditure control phases of fiscal transactions throughout the life cycle of government and restricted grants. Focus is on grant management. This position will assist in the compilation of documentation for government expenditure reports, preparation of government reports and tracking of expenditures against budgets.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the grant throughout lifecycle: from award through renewal and final reporting
- Reconciles revenue, accounts receivable, and program expenses of government contracts and restricted grants to the general ledger monthly and proposes journal entries if necessary
- Prepares accurate and complete billing reports including all supporting documentation for review
- Monitors budget vs actual results and creates forecasts for review with Director and program staff
- Initiates and facilitates meetings with program managers to discuss the progress of grants toward successful completion and resolve concerns and discrepancies.
- Identifies and reports discrepancies between program expenses incurred and general ledger transactions and proposes journal entries and/or budget modifications for Director review.
- Ensures that all documentation that support vouchers and general ledger are appropriately and electronically held in SharePoint.
- Assist accounts payable in facilitating check requests for capacity grants
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in accounting experience and a solid understanding of grants and cost center reporting
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and the ability to reconcile large transactional files
- (pivot tables and vlookup experience preferred).
- Computer proficient with knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software applications. Knowledge of NetSuite accounting software a plus.
- Experience in financial analysis and general ledger reporting
- Strong attention to detail for reviewing schedules and records for accuracy
- Must display team spirit, attention to detail, ability to work well with others, be goal oriented, and be able to follow through on projects from initiation to completion
- Must demonstrate the ability to establish work priorities and apply financial accounting principles and methods to daily tasks.
- Possess a high level of organizational skills and be detailed oriented.
- Be a strong multi-tasker, with superior time-management skills and ability to manage competing deadlines or be flexible to changing priorities.
- Experience navigating the accounting for related entities.
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to prioritize and deliver on tight deadlines;
- Experience managing across and collaborating with diverse teams, personalities and expectations;
- Maintain a can do and solutions oriented attitude in all situations, especially tough situations;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible with changing priorities, rapid response situations, and communicate clearly about deadlines and projects;
- Strong sense of organization and time management skills;
- Commitment to the Mission and Values of Food Bank For New York City