We are seeking a product management professional to join Burning Man Project’s technology team to build, scale, and maintain the tools that our teams use to support our non-profit organization. This role is responsible for the technology solutions, roadmap, integrations, and reporting tools that enable our stakeholders to scale our operations in a community-focused environment.
You’ll have wide exposure within our organization, and employ a consultative approach to solving a range of challenges facing our staff and our community. This is an ideal position for a product manager who gets excited thinking about the complexities of data moving across systems, building experiences that enable teams to work smarter, and balancing short-term needs against long-term goals.
In this role, you will work with the different departments and programs within Burning Man Project to identify the biggest opportunities, turn them into agile stories, and coordinate development, training and roll-out to our teams. When working independently to drive projects to success, this position uses stellar communication and detailed project tracking to keep internal customers informed of and engaged in project progress.
The deadline to apply for this role is 6:00pm Pacific on Monday, March 1, 2021.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Become a domain expert: understand our different departments, their needs and how they work.
- Document workflow process and improvement goals, then track success with metrics.
- Assist in prioritizing enhancements and bug fixes, while identifying thematic issues that can be solved with technology improvements.
- Collaborate with design and technical implementation teams to define and design solutions that delight users.
- Help translate the data needs of different departments into actionable information, including automated reporting.
- Write, refine, and prioritize agile user stories with clear acceptance criteria, coordinate their production with the development team and conduct testing to build and release features.
- Build business cases as necessary to solve organizational and operational needs, including build vs. buy analysis.
- Research, troubleshoot, diagnose, and recommend solutions to increasingly complex business or technical problems.
- Evaluate between custom built, low/no-code development, and third-party integrations to solve problems effectively, efficiently, and scalably.
- Coordinate user acceptance testing, bug reporting, and training activities.
- Make data informed decisions, convince stakeholders decisions taken are supported by data and measure success metrics for all work undertaken.
- Serve as an escalation point for technical issues in your portfolio.
LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Documentation - Assists in the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to their assigned duties.
- Knowledge sharing – Helps acculturate and educate junior staff in Burning Man culture and business processes.
- Training development - Collaborates with the education team to develop training materials in their area of expertise, as requested.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes.
- Bachelor Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 2 or more years experience as a product manager
- Experience as a user of Salesforce, administration or development experience ideal
- Technically savvy and able to have meaningful discussions with engineering team about design approach and tradeoffs
- Excellent written and verbal skills which demonstrate maturity, judgement, negotiation/influencer, analytical, and leadership skills
- Strong visual communication skills, proficient in wireframing, prototyping, diagramming and other presentation tools
- Ability to influence without authority, sell concepts internally and actively drive decision-making across partners
- Experience in systems integration and integrated solutions
- Proven history of translating requests and requirements from non-technical customers
- Strong facilitation skills that draw out the most from product users and stakeholders
- Ability to adjust schedule seasonally to work at the Burning Man event held in Nevada
- Knowledge and experience within the Burning Man Project culture, organization and community
- Experience working with volunteers and/or as a volunteer
- Experience driving A/B or multivariate user testing
- Experience with Wordpress
Note: If you have gained the necessary experience to succeed in this role and have acquired this experience in other ways, we encourage you to apply and share all relevant experience in your application.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Off-playa: Work is primarily sedentary in nature, no special demands are required.
- On-playa: Work is primarily sedentary but will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as possible extremes in temperature.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- This is a regular, full-time position, eligible for benefits.
- The location for this position is flexible and work hours will be held in Pacific time.
- Burning Man Project celebrates the importance of creating a diverse environment and enthusiastically encourages Black, Indigenous, other Peoples of Color, Queer, Immigrant, women, and people with disabilities, of all ages, to apply.
- Burning Man Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.