Director of Jewish Student Life-Cornell Hillel
- Job posted by Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
Cornell Hillel is undergoing tremendous growth. We are currently launching an ambitious strategic plan that will help us realize our vision of activating Jewish life for the 3,500 Jewish students at Cornell. We are looking for a talented Director of Jewish Student Life to join our leadership team who will be able to imagine the potential for robust Jewish community and create programs and manage a team of staff and students to help realize our vision.
In this role, you will help ignite Jewish life at an Ivy League school with motivated students and a large staff. You will help staff and students dream big and provide the motivation and the resources to help them turn those dreams to reality. You will also have the opportunity to innovative and experiment; pilot new programs and initiatives, and, most importantly, create meaningful and measurable change.
What You'll Do:
- Mentor student leaders in their Jewish growth through individual meetings and group trainings, in order to cultivate a Jewish community that is caring, diverse, welcoming and actively inclusive.
- Work with students and staff to implement a wide range of programs, including Shabbat and holiday celebrations, social opportunities, social justice projects and Jewish learning opportunities.
- Serve as an advisor for our various Hillel communities such as Hillel's E-Board.
- Oversee marketing, social media, and content for Hillel website; maintain participant tracking database.
- Supervise an early career professional, helping them to be successful in their role.
- Expand our internships and peer-too-peer programs.
On a day to day basis you will:
- Supervise and empower Hillel's engagement team.
- Have a coffee date with a first year student who has expressed interest in becoming more involved in Jewish life on campus.
- Plan and oversee large scale programs from concept to implementation.
- Work on a plan that will transform our social media strategy.
What You've Accomplished:
- 4-6 years professional experience in Jewish, experiential or higher education.
- Bachelor's degree required; Advanced degree is a plus.
- Proven success in: project management, supervision, program design.
- Building pluralistic Jewish communities and creating a welcoming, vibrant, and deeply enriching Jewish environment.
- Inspiring, mentoring and motivating college age students through traditional, but also experiential education.
- Strategically networking and building partnerships with young adults and leaders.
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining quality across all areas.
What You'll Bring to the Job:
- A passion for working with emerging adults and investing in their growth as Jewish leaders.
- A commitment to pluralism and comfort with your Jewish identity so you may act as a role model and mentor for emerging Jewish adults.
- Owning your unique Jewish knowledge and experiences and inspiring others to be on a Jewish journey.
- Familiarity with higher education and campus settings.
- Comfort working independently and collaboratively.
- Supervisory experience with staff or students.
- An entrepreneurial spirit - things may not always go according to plan, but you understand that ambiguity is part of developing great new opportunities.
- Strong written and verbal skills, effective at communicating with a variety of stakeholders including students, parents, alumnae/i, and university partners.
What You'll Receive:
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel.
- Plenty of Hillel schwag.
About Cornell Hillel:
Cornell Hillel is located in Ithaca, NY, which combines small town life with a world class academic/college town community. Ithaca has been named one of the top 100 places to live, a top 10 recreation city, a best green place to live, and one of the "foodiest" towns in America. Cornell University is one of the world's foremost institutions of higher education, with seven undergraduate schools and five graduate schools located in Ithaca, NY, in the Finger Lakes Region of Central New York State. Cornell Hillel is housed in Anabel Taylor Hall, home of the Cornell United Religious Works. Jewish students make up approximately one-quarter of the student body on the Ithaca campus, approximately 3,500 students. Cornell Hillel currently engages a talented professional team of 11 full time and one part-time professional.
About Hillel International:
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Cornell Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter.
New Applicants: Select “Apply for this Position” to submit your application and create an account.
Previous Applicants: Scroll to the “Previous Applicants” section. Please input your e-mail address and password to login, and select “Add to My Jobs” to login and submit your application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter. New Applicants: Select Apply for this Position to submit your application and create an account. Previous Applicants: Scroll to the Previous Applicants section. Please i