2727 Camino del Rio South
The Immigration Justice Project seeks to hire a full-time Senior Staff Attorney to provide and supervise the provision of comprehensive and compassionate legal services to indigent immigrants in removal proceedings.
Project Mission: The American Bar Association (ABA) Immigration Justice Project (IJP) of San Diego seeks to promote due process and access to justice for indigent immigrants through the provision of no-cost, high-quality legal services for individuals appearing before the San Diego immigration court and in subsequent appeals as needed. The IJP implements EOIR’s Legal Orientation Program (LOP) at the Otay Mesa Detention Center and serves as appointed counsel for detained individuals who mentally through the National Qualified Representative Program (NQRP). The IJP also seeks to connect unrepresented detained and non-detained individuals in immigration proceedings with outside pro bono counsel through its Pro Bono Program.
Job Responsibilities and Position Description:
- Direct representation of immigrants in: removal and bond proceedings before the Immigration Court; appellate proceedings before the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA); applications before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); and matters before Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP);
- Supervision of attorneys providing the above services;
- Coordination with client families, in collaboration with IJP’s post-release coordinator, to provide holistic services necessary to prepare clients for release from custody; and
- Supervision of and participation in the implementation of the Legal Orientation Program at the Otay Mesa Detention Facility
- Provision of mentorship and technical assistance to outside volunteer attorneys representing pro bono cases
Qualifications: The Senior Staff Attorney must share IJP’s mission of promoting due process and access to justice for all immigrants. The Senior Staff Attorney must exhibit compassion, strong writing skills, excellent communication skills, 2-5 years’ experience providing immigration removal defense, as well as the ability to work independently under pressure and as part of a team. The Senior Staff Attorney must have a law degree and be in good standing with a State Bar (California preferred). Supervisory experience is strongly preferred. Experience working with individuals with mental incapacity is also preferred.
The ABA offers competitive benefits including health insurance, dental insurance, a 401K plan, generous holiday and paid time off, and relocation expenses.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Minimum Education Required