Job title: USA Director
Date: May 2021
Location: USA (remote, flexible location)
Reports to: Global Co-CEOs.
About Talent Beyond Boundaries
Talent Beyond Boundaries (TBB) envisions a world where forcibly displaced people can use their skills and talents to move to secure futures. We work with governments, employers and partners to overcome the barriers that often prevent refugees from accessing skilled migration pathways. TBB seeks to be a catalyst for systems change in skilled migration, laying the groundwork for this solution to scale to serve millions of displaced people.
Scope of role
This role is responsible for expanding Talent Beyond Boundaries' efforts to open up labour mobility pathways for refugees to the United States of America. The role will be part of TBB’s leadership team and support TBB’s global mission to ensure displaced people have equitable access to skilled migration. This role will also support the effective administration of TBB’s US-based 501c3.
We are seeking a dynamic, proactive and creative leader who demonstrates excellence across a diverse set of responsibilities and who will thrive as part of a fast-moving, collaborative and global team.
This role is responsible for leading TBB’s program to create a skilled migration pathway for refugees and other forcibly displaced people to the USA. The role will work in collaboration with team members across the organization, employers, donors and key external partners.
- Develop strategies and processes for implementing TBB’s mission to open up a skilled migration pathway for refugees to the USA, continuously iterating based on new programmatic learning and changing context.
- Build and nurture effective partnerships with key organizations and stakeholders in the US context with the aim of building an ecosystem of partners supporting refugees to access US employment and immigration opportunities. Key stakeholders include industry and employer groups, refugee-serving organizations, donors and immigration service providers.
- Foster relationships with key US government officials to advocate for the creation, expansion and promotion of skilled migration pathways for displaced talent. Provide learning and input from the US context to support TBB’s global policy advocacy priorities, and develop and deliver policy and advocacy materials in line with TBB’s strategy and informed by test cases.
- Explore and implement creative solutions to address barriers preventing refugee access to skilled migration opportunities in the USA.
- Actively contribute to global TBB strategy and planning processes, as guided by the TBB Co-CEOs.
- Ensure effective collaboration between TBB teams, key partners and employers to facilitate the remote recruitment of refugees and their successful migration and settlement in the USA, consistent with program targets. Manage and mitigate risk to refugees moving through TBB’s program to the USA.
- Ensure effective communication of TBB’s vision and strategy to internal and external stakeholders, in particular government counterparts, employers and partner organizations. Pursue strategic media and public engagement opportunities that align with and advance TBB’s mission.
- Drive fundraising efforts in the USA with support from the Co-CEOs and TBB Inc Board, establish fundraising strategy and targets that align with TBB’s strategic goals and ensure compliance with donor requirements including narrative and financial reporting.
- Participate actively on the TBB Leadership Team alongside other source and destination country directors, and ensure effective collaboration and teamwork across TBB.
- Other duties as required.
- Volunteers, interns and support staff to be recruited as required, in line with budget parameters.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & ATTITUDES
- Proven track record effectively managing staff to meet strategic goals.
- Demonstrated high performance leading external affairs functions (communications and messaging; policy and advocacy; client relationships; partnerships).
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Experience successfully managing relationships with government, philanthropic, private and corporate donors.
- Expertise relevant to TBB’s operating environment (refugee policy and system reform, global recruitment/labor markets, migration policy etc)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in a cross-cultural environment
- Demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively in order to deliver best outcomes.
- A willingness to learn and adapt to a dynamic work environment.
- Strong computer literacy and willingness to use/learn to use a range of online collaborative tools (Salesforce, Slack, Google Suite, Trello etc).
- A willingness to learn and adapt to a dynamic work environment, tolerance of rapid change and ambiguity.
- Successful completion of relevant Bachelors’ or Masters’ level qualifications (in social sciences, management/business, law or international relations related field).
- Immigration law qualifications and experience in the US context.
- Lived refugee experience.