Customer Service Representative (Donor Relations)
Union of Concerned Scientists
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation, and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
Last year, more than 130,000 members contributed more than $13 million to support the work of UCS, thanks to the work of a busy and well-coordinated fundraising team. This team is now seeking a Customer Service Representative (Donor Relations) to be the first point of contact for members and supporters who call into our office with questions and concerns. The ideal candidate will be calm and collected on the phone, efficient and eager when solving problems, and organized and on top of the many activities the fundraising team oversees.
The Customer Service Representative answers the phone for our dedicated membership line, screens the general UCS email inbox, responds to inquiries, and keeps members informed about UCS activities. Other tasks include writing correspondence with donors, helping administer monthly giving and mid-level donor programs, and preparing applications for workplace giving campaigns. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about the work UCS does, how our department supports this work, and about fundraising in general.
· Acts as primary staff contact with donors for a national nonprofit.
· Daily tasks include answering the membership telephone line and reviewing and responding to the public email inbox.
· Responsible for providing excellent donor relations by answering a variety of inquiries and resolving membership questions.
· Works with other UCS staff to handle inquiries as needed, and to craft responses to frequently asked questions.
· Assists with database management, including updating and maintaining accurate donor records, doing occasional data entry, tracking donor interest areas, and running weekly/monthly department reports.
· Handles logistics for the monthly giving program, including providing outstanding customer service to monthly donors who call or email, updating recurring gift changes and cancellations, and working with vendors to resolve donor issues and ensure accuracy of donor records.
· Provides administrative support for the mid-level donor program
· Maintains schedule of state and federal workplace giving campaigns and submits applications for eligible campaigns throughout the year.
· Writes and sends assorted correspondence to members, including email correspondence and occasional letters or special acknowledgements.
· Sorts and handles hard copy mail that is returned to us daily from lockbox vendor.
Qualifications and Experience
· Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
· Excellent customer service skills are required.
· An interest in interacting with UCS members and the general public by phone on an ongoing daily basis is required, including a warm, tactful, but efficient phone manner, and a tolerance for customer service calls that can be repetitive and/or difficult
· Database and Microsoft Office proficient. Knowledge of Raisers Edge a plus.
· Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines simultaneously.
· Strong attention to accuracy and detail.
· Writing and proofreading skills are desirable.
· Familiarity with and interest in fundraising techniques and donor relations is preferred.
· Work requires two years of comparable and relevant experience.
· Occasionally lifts and carries stock boxes or bulk mail; spends extended periods at computer terminal.
· Zero to 5 days of overnight travel may be required per year.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $41,800. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Go to: https://www.workable.com/j/7C52EBE200 and upload a cover letter and resume. Please include salary requirements in the cover letter. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: October 29, 2018 or until filled.