2000 Florida Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Title: Manager, Conference Center Services
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is home to more than 60,000 scientists from 139 countries. As the Manager, Conference Center Services, you will be part of a dynamic association of Earth and space scientists who advance research, collaborate across disciplines, and communicate the importance and impact of science to society. AGU offers our employees exciting opportunities through top-ranked scientific journals, scientific meetings and conferences, and other educational and scientific programs, to present and publish research, gain leadership experience, mentor, and freely exchange knowledge.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Manager, Conference Center Services does
The Manager, Conference Center Services position is key in assisting AGU to promote discovery in Earth and Space science for the benefit of humanity, by being strategic and operational in focus.
The Manager is responsible for operations and overall success of the AGU Conference Center. As part of these efforts, the Manager will be maximizing utilization and revenue of the Center, managing expenses, ensuring smooth operations and maintaining good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
The successful candidate is an experienced event and/or conference center senior professional who excels as a strategist and planner and enjoys working collaboratively across an organization with diverse stakeholders. This position reports to the CFO/SVP of HR and serves as part of the management team of the Administrative Services department.
- Directs and drives all AGU Conference Center operations, including sales and marketing initiatives.
- Responsible for the facility’s financial performance, including budgeting and forecasting.
- Drives function space optimization/maximization, to ensure best utilization of space for guest experience and financial performance of department.
- Fosters and continually enhances relationships with AGU clients, vendors, community organizations and professional associations to maintain high visibility and increase market share.
- Develops and executes the Conference Center sales plan and strategy to meet or exceed facility’s revenue goals.
- Identifies and anticipates market trends and volatility. Recommends alternative options & solutions to improve sales.
- Represents AGU Conference Center with prospective customers to provide necessary information on the facilities and services and to determine levels of interest.
- Participates in related industry conferences on a local, regional, and national level; responds to RFP’s and develops a network of potential clients and colleagues in the conference industry and community to enhance the presence of AGU as a conference venue.
- Partners with AGU Marketing and IS departments on maintaining AGU Conference Center Website and directs related marketing efforts to promote the Center.
· Monitors local and national trends and legislation to ensure compliance with all state/federal laws as they apply to AGU’s Conference Center safety and operations.
· Develops and implements departmental policies and operating procedures that improve departmental efficiencies, increase employee satisfaction, and promote a clean, safe and sustainable work environment.
· Drafts correspondence (letters, email, etc.) to communicate information that pertains to the AGU Conference Center issues that impact AGU leadership, staff, tenants, external customers and other stakeholders.
· Prepares routine reports and discusses results and impact with CFO/SVP of HR. Recommends course of action based on findings.
- Provides leadership to the Conference Center Concierge and serves as a resource to her/him.
· Other duties as assigned.
What the Manager, Conference Center Services brings to the team
- Bachelor’s in hospitality management, marketing or other related field, with a minimum of 8 years of experience in the hospitality industry with at least 2 years of that experience associated with Conference Centers management; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Hospitality sales experience strongly desired.
- Experience in Food/Beverage Catering is a plus.
- Previous supervisory experience is a must.
- Experience in creating managing budget and demonstrated ability to work within approved budget.
- Experience in a scientific, knowledge-based or technical setting is a plus, as is experience in an association or non-profit.
- Excellent communication skills (with a high degree of diplomacy) are essential, as is excellent follow-through on tasks.
- Excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills, including ability to resolve disputes and observe confidentiality.
- Ability to develop and implement cost saving measures.
- Demonstrated ability to translate strategic intent into a program plans and tactics.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Outstanding record of meeting deadlines and juggling multiple priorities with a high level of accuracy.
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite of products.
- Previous working knowledge of Sales/Conference services sales systems/applications.
- Knowledge of all applicable federal, state, and local laws for occupational safety and health required.
· Ability to exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
· Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required