Details: $16 – $18/hour
50 Broad Street
Mission & Vision
Read Ahead’s reading-based mentoring develops in students the social-emotional skills essential for academic and lifelong success. Our vision is that our students have the opportunity to unlock their full potential through mentoring relationships based on a love of reading.
About Read Ahead
Read Ahead connects children from underserved communities with caring, trusted, consistent mentors in a fun and kid-friendly environment. Centered around the foundational experience of reading together, mentors give their mentees the confidence, motivation, and improved skills to succeed in school and in life. Read Ahead matches volunteers from over 40 corporate and community partners with New York City public elementary school students, facilitating weekly lunchtime mentoring sessions throughout the school year. During the 2017-2018 school year, Read Ahead matched nearly 1,000 students with 1,300 caring mentors.
About the Position
Read Ahead seeks a self-directed and highly organized Associate, Program & Operations to join our dedicated and collaborative team with a start date in May/June 2018. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is passionate about youth development, eager to gain a range of experience in nonprofit operations, and ready to tackle new challenges and tasks daily. The role also provides opportunities to focus and grow individual areas of interest within nonprofit management. The position will require an average of 20-25 hours per week. Due to the nature of Read Ahead’s work, we ask that a candidate make at least a 12-month commitment.
The Associate, Program & Operations will report to the Senior Director, Program Operations, Design, and Evaluation.
Program Department Responsibilities (average of 15-20 hours/week):
- Oversee onboarding process for approximately 1,300 volunteer mentors, including data management and volunteer communication
- Manage and ensure data accuracy for 16 school programs in the Live Impact database
- Contribute to program measurement and evaluation through data entry, survey administration and coordination, and data analysis
- Create and compile materials for program events and activities
- Coordinate and oversee logistics for 30+ mentor trainings and other program events
- Maintain inventory of program supplies, including tracking, ordering, and distributing to schools
- Conduct and summarize research as requested to support program learning
- Occasionally, substitute for Program Coordinators on-site at one of our 16 schools
Operations Department Responsibilities (average of 3-5 hours/week):
- Assist the Controller and Executive Director with financial administration by processing timesheets for payroll, submitting vendor invoices for payment to the Executive Director, and completing paperwork for credit card reports
- Complete HR and benefits for employees as directed by the Executive Director
- Maintain an up-to-date and accurate filing system including HR and vendor files
- Update organization calendars as needed
- Purchase food, gifts, and other items for staff celebrations
- Maintain inventory of office supplies, including tracking and ordering
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-2 years of administrative experience preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite, especially spreadsheets
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Highly organized with a meticulous attention to detail and strong ability to prioritize
- Enjoys working both independently and collaboratively with a small office staff
- Team player who enjoys working hard in a collaborative, fun, mission-driven environment
- Commitment to and passion for Read Ahead’s mission
Benefits: TransitChek pre-tax commuter travel benefit; 3% 403(b) match
Flexible schedule to be determined in consultation with supervisor
Read Ahead is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining how your experience, skills, and interests make you a fit for this position to Senior Director, Program Operations, Design, and Evaluation, Ariela Rosenberg-Brafman, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Associate, Program & Operations” in the subject line. Please note that applications without this information will not be considered. No phone calls please.