Join a collaborative team of creative engagement and experience focused marketing and communications professionals in our mission to conquer and cure brain tumors— once and for all. Reporting to the senior director of communications, the director of digital content strategy will lead a team committed to best-practice and innovation across our national marketing platforms. You’ll have the opportunity to lead and execute a comprehensive website redesign as part of an organization wide brand improvement initiative. As strategic and operational leader reporting to and working with the senior director of communications, you will build strong relationships across the organization and collaborate on public health, research, public policy, patient service and fundraising creative campaigns toward our mission and organizational goals to discover and bring about cures and make tangible change for the brain tumor community.
National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invests in, mobilizes and unites our community to discover a cure, deliver effective treatments, and advocate for patients and their care partners. NBTS is a leading policy advocacy and research organization as well as a convener of brain tumor research leaders including industry, regulators, funders, clinician researchers, and patient advocates. The organization also delivers timely information and support to patients and families. Through collaborative leadership with partners, our results include paradigm-shifting research discoveries, increased federal funding for brain tumor research, innovative new clinical trials, opportunities for entrepreneurship and venture philanthropy to benefit brain tumor research, and empowering collaborative advocacy that results in reforms and advances to health care and the development of treatments.
While we have seen significant progress in terms of scientific understanding of brain tumor biology, we are unsatisfied with the status quo of today’s treatment options. NBTS is committed to investment in new ideas and research poised to incent the development and realization of treatments that dramatically increase survival and quality of life for patients.
Reporting to the senior director of marketing and communications, the director of digital content strategy at the National Brain Tumor Society leads digital marketing content across enterprise-wide channels.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Digital content management:
- Optimizes user experience across enterprise-wide digital channels
- Oversees content across digital platforms, including braintumor.org and associated blog(s), social media channels, and broadcast emails
- Stays abreast of best practices in the digital landscape and recommends improvements across digital platforms
- Manages organization-wide editorial calendar
- Collaborates on and/or builds marketing plans for NBTS initiatives
- Contracts and manages creative vendors in the creation of visual and editorial content
- Develops comprehensive reports on marketing analytics on the initiative and channel level, and recommends improvements to drive mission delivery and raise funds
- Oversees the lineup creation, project management, and execution of organization-wide email (including newsletters and other broad communications)
- Collaborates with partners across the organization to ensure cohesive, best-practice email marketing communications for all initiatives
- Ensures email tools are compliant with CAN-SPAM and other pertinent laws
- Optimizes website for SEO and collaborates with colleagues in marcomms and across the organization to develop innovative lead-generation strategies for NBTS that drive users to site
- Manages website redesign processes and collaborates with director of digital marketing to ensure seamless integration with CRM and other integrated systems
- Serves as webmaster for braintumor.org and subsidiary websites
- Oversees the governance structure for NBTS websites and determines efficient, effective management of website content across the organization
- Collaborates closely with the director of digital marketing to ensure technical functionality of website, including:
- Hosting/server routine maintenance
- Troubleshooting website
- Generating and updating content on website
- Accessibility and compliance across digital platforms
- Leads website redesigns and convenes partners across the organization to ensure a strong collaboration on the site design and implementation
- Performs routine maintenance and content control across websites
Social media strategy:
- Collaborates on braintumor.org social media strategy
- Collaborate with the senior director of communications and the marcomms team to steward a strong brand across all platforms
- Advocate for brand and quality control
- Manages ~1-3-person team including hiring, staff development and performance evaluations
- Recommends process improvements and implements streamlined processes across digital content team
- Collaborates closely with Marketing & Communications (MarComms) team members on strategy
- Manages vendor relationships as needed to facilitate projects that fall outside the scope of MarComms team skill sets
- Ensures error-free, style- and brand-compliant text and graphic design across platforms
Other duties as assigned by senior director of communications
Required Skills and Ideal Characteristics:
Qualifications & Experience:
- At least 3 years demonstrated experience managing communications, digital marketing, and/or creative teams, including experience with hiring, staff development and performance evaluations
- 5-10 years of experience in marketing and communications, preferably in the nonprofit, health care, or equivalent
- Experience in the healthcare industry or nonprofit sector preferred
- Undergraduate degree in Communications, BA or BS in a related field, or equivalent prior work experience required
- MBA or other advanced degree preferred
- A proven team builder, internal leader, talent developer and manager, as well as being highly responsive to executive leadership
- Ability to work independently and thrive on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Demonstrated editing/writing skills for internal and external non-scientific audiences
- Expertise in SEO best practices
- Strong brand management skills
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Experience managing website redesigns
- A desire to work for a mission-driven organization dedicated to helping those facing a life threatening disease
- Keen attention to detail
- Eye for big-picture storytelling
- Strong collaborative skills
- Proactive self-starter
- Positive (can-do) attitude
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Location: Remote (core hours 9:00am to 5:00pm EST, primary work location must be in the United States) or on-site at NBTS headquarters in Newton, MA
- This is a full-time exempt position.
- Travel throughout the US by car and/or plane may be required approximately 10% of the time.
- Role is largely sedentary, with infrequent light physical effort required. On-site work is performed in an ADA compliant office environment, and workspace may be shared.
NBTS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.