315 S. Broad Street
BSM believes that we transform our city, our institutions, and ourselves when we embrace the individual needs of our most vulnerable sisters and brothers. We envision that every person will be seen, recognized, and restored. We will all be well fed in every aspect of life, and we will be made whole-even for just a few pure and powerful moments. The simplest acts of kindness can soothe the afflicted and transform the fortunate. On those who live in the shadows of solitude, we shower the sunlight of community. And we extend an invitation to others to join us at our tables and help turn on the light.
BSM seeks a dedicated and purpose-driven Volunteer Associate who will be responsible for overseeing all duties related to recruiting and managing the volunteers needed for BSM’s Hospitality Collaborative programming. This position bridges two of Broad Street Ministry’s essential departments: the Hospitality Collaborative and Development.
Working under the direction of BSM’s Manager of Volunteer Programming, the Volunteer Associate will have the following responsibilities:
- Volunteer Department work with the Manager of Volunteer Programming in scheduling individuals and groups to fulfill BSM’s weekly volunteer needs. Daily management of the Volunteer Department inbox and Volunteer Hub account. Confirm group volunteer reservations.
- Manage, steward and provide direct instruction to volunteers throughout BSM’s Breaking Bread meal service, including orientation for a minimum of two meals per week.
- Foster and build relationships with all constituents of BSM including donors, potential donors, volunteers, as well as BSM guests, many of whom are experiencing homelessness, mental illness, or deep poverty
- Assist with development: supporting volunteer communications, including thank-you notes, a bi-monthly newsletter, Volunteer Spotlight, and special events.
- Help coordinate logistics of programs, services, events, activities and meetings.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Other responsibilities possible, depending on interests and skills of associate.
- Attend weekly supervision with the Manager of Volunteer Programming.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Strong public speaking skills for group orientations of 25 or more volunteers per day.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university strongly preferred but may be substituted for years of relevant experience.
- Passion for Broad Street Ministry’s mission
- Must have strong verbal communication and relationship building skills.
- Self-motivated, high energy level, strong sense of initiative, able to work independently as well as collaboratively with minimal supervision.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and time and project management skills; with the ability to multi-task and think strategically.
- Ability to relate to people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment.
- Ability to utilize and manage volunteer management software, Volunteer HUB.
- Comfort in instructing, supporting and motivating volunteers.
- Comfort in interacting with BSM guests who may be experiencing behavioral health issues.
BSM offers a competitive compensation package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter with the subject line: ‘Volunteer Department Associate’
To learn more about us, visit www.broadstreetministry.org
Please no telephone or walk-in inquiries. EOE. Unfortunately, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.