At the Red Cross, there is no such thing as a small disaster. In every single case it is our mission to help people affected by disaster meet their emergency needs that include shelter, food, clothing, and health and mental health services. As a paid staff member, you will support our loyal Red Cross disaster volunteers who serve selflessly to provide a bridge of assistance until individuals and families can resume a normal life. Our disaster volunteers are the heart and soul of our mission to respond to emergencies and provide relief to victims of disasters. They serve in a number of capacities, including Disaster Action Team Member, Disaster Assessment, Caseworker, Mass Care Feeding, Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV) Driver, Shelter Manager/Staff, Disaster Health Services and Disaster Mental Health.
As an employee at the American Red Cross, you could be on the front lines making a positive impact on our community. You could provide your services directly to the American public or support to the people who do. Both roles help further the mission of the Red Cross. Join our non-profit organization, where your heart and mind go to work!
We are currently seeking a State Mass Care Planner for our Central & Southern Illinois Region. This position will be based in our Springfield, IL Chapter Office. This is a grant-funded, full-time, salary (exempt) position and you must be willing to work on call 24/7! A valid driver's license is required!
This position is responsible for leading and managing a primarily volunteer team to support and provide Mass Care in an assigned geographic region. This position serves as the lead functional expert in a Red Cross Region for the Mass Care function. Tailoring national program offerings for the Region and communities within the Region, providing technical expertise, training, and leading regional implementation of Mass Care, this position supports regional employees and volunteers in the disaster territories to build capacity in the local community for the disaster cycle.
Specific functions of this position include program implementation, remote team building of employees and volunteers, and soliciting feedback from end customers.
This position works to perform these functions according to the program direction provided by the Mass Care function at headquarters. Team leadership, supervision, and personnel development is provided by the Regional Disaster Functions/Support Director or the Regional Disaster and Program Officer; and may have a dotted line to the DPM or Community Exec (s) in the territory they cover.
1. Implement strategies, initiatives, processes and procedures that support the successful region wide day-to-day and major relief operation provision of Mass Care services.
2. Within scope of position, represents the full disaster cycle of preparation, response and recovery.
3. Ensures the delivery and availability of American Red Cross services to diverse communities.
4. Works to ensure all Mass Care activities are in compliance will region and national procedures and policies.
5. Develops, communicates and implements Mass Care priorities, goals and objectives in support of the region’s territories.
6. Evaluates and reports on the capacity and effectiveness of Mass Care services. Prepares recommendations for continuous improvement.
7. Manages National Shelter System reporting for both Red Cross and non-Red Cross shelters.
8. Responsible for supporting consistent service delivery strategies throughout the region as well as supporting field teams implementation of strategies and plans.
9. Manage the identification and survey of shelters in coordination with the Disaster Program Managers and Mass Care volunteers.
10. Ensures access to Safe and Well communication system for registration within the shelter environment.
11. Ensures functional needs shelter requirements are identified, resourced and met.
12. Identifies feeding requirements based on regional needs analysis and supports Logistics in negotiating and managing regional feeding contracts.
13. Serve as the subject matter expert (SME) and provide oversight for Mass Care role that Red Cross plays at both local level as well as in the co-lead role of ESF-6 within the National Response Framework.
14. Ensures roles and responsibilities of Red Cross identified in tribal, local, state and FEMA agreements (MOUs, MOAs, etc.) are being met.
15. Coordinates specialized training in Mass Care.
16. Develops Mass Care support volunteer teams in conjunction with the Disaster Program Managers.
17. Support field based staff and volunteer teams and systems.
18. Develops and cultivates professional relationships with key internal and external partners and organizations (assigned relationships monitored and tracked by a portfolio management system).
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential including sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster. Should this occur, salary compensation would be given in accordance with the law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years' experience with social services or service/program delivery. Experience in providing leadership to staff and volunteer activities. Ability to interpret program trends, results, and related data to formulate recommendations. Ability to manage multiple priorities with strong skills in planning and problem-solving. Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
Management Experience: Minimum 1-3 years of supervisory experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Proven track record of collaboration, facilitation, problem solving, leadership, and partnership management. Additionally, this position requires the ability for planning. Individual must be customer oriented, flexible, organized, and able to operate with an orientation toward solutions with a customer focus and team orientation. Demonstrates in depth knowledge of program or service. Participates in developing strategies to achieve organizational goals. Demonstrated analytical and decision making skills to develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Demonstrated ability in creating presentations and developing training modules. Excellent oral and communication skills, including training and presentations.
Other: Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Familiarity with federal, state, and local employment laws.
Must be able to perform all assigned responsibilities under “grey sky” requirements. This position is also responsible for ensuring that all American Red Cross finance policies and procedures are followed as related to the scope of work activity.
Travel: May require travel
Other Requirements: After employment, the employee must be able to learn and become efficient in:
Job Type: This position can be filled by an employee or a volunteer.
At the Red Cross, there is no such thing as a small disaster. In every single case it is our mission to help people affected by disaster meet their emergency needs that include shelter, food, clothing, and health and mental health services. As a…
Please apply directly on our website at:
Please apply directly on our website at: