Senior Communications Associate, Blue Meridian Partners
- Job posted by The Edna McConnell Clark Foundation
415 Madison Avenue
The Edna McConnell Clark Foundation champions economically disadvantaged youth. We partner with other investors to expand programs with compelling evidence in order to help more vulnerable young people become successful adults.
Incubated at EMCF and launched in 2016, Blue Meridian Partners is an independent collaboration of 12 philanthropic institutions and individuals who share decision-making authority. It plans to invest at least $1 billion in propelling evidence-based programs to a scale that maximizes their impact directly, serving greater numbers of youth from birth to age 30, and indirectly, increasing their influence on the child welfare, educational, judicial, and other systems that affect young people’s lives.
For more than four decades, the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation has sought to uphold the values that inspired the Clark family to create it. In our work with grantees and with each other, EMCF and its staff strive to live up to and put into action five core values: humility, belief in people, pragmatism, trust and high standards.
Reporting to the Chief Brand Officer, the Senior Communications Associate contributes to building the Blue Meridian brand, as well as supporting its fundraising and the expansion of the impact of its work. He/she/they develop and manage the execution of Blue Meridian Partners’ strategic communications plan, design, create and manage messaging and materials for external audiences and internal use, as well as manage communications projects and supervise consultants.
Primary Responsibilities of the Senior Communications Associate include but are not limited to:
· Manage the creation, maintenance and ongoing refinement of Blue Meridian’s written strategic communications plan; execute the plan as project manager.
· With the Chief Brand Officer’s guidance, develop and then independently implement messaging for external audiences, such as funders, grantees, other funder colleagues, policymakers, and other key constituencies.
- Review and write external and internal documents, engaging other communications staff as needed to distil information, develop compelling slides, briefs and other materials.
- Review and develop talking points for use in external presentations, speeches and/or meetings.
· Supervise and direct the work of external consultants engaged to assist the Blue Meridian on communications-related projects; develop briefs to guide their work, manage timelines, and review their work to ensure it results in high-quality deliverables.
· Review documents and other materials produced by the Blue Meridian staff for consistency with the communications strategic plan; offer advice and counsel on ways to improve them.
· Regularly review the Blue Meridian’s collateral materials, and make revisions so they are up-to-date; engage and collaborate with other communications and Foundation staff, and external consultants as needed.
· As a stakeholder in the digital work, be prepared to intentionally provide guidance on the messaging, tone and direction of the Blue Meridian’s digital communications channels, including its online and social media properties.
· Organize and manage communications projects, such as grantee photoshoots, video productions, and the build-up of the Blue Meridian’s visual asset library, as well as those related to special initiatives that impact Blue Meridian across functional teams and augment the brand building work.
- Review and draft contracts for outside vendors, negotiating terms, and ensuring they are in accordance with established standards and processes; ensure invoices are processed for timely payment; manage and track expenses against the budget.
· Perform other reasonable duties as requested that are consistent with the achievement of Blue Meridian’s goals.
Ideal candidates will have 7+ years of hands-on project management and professional experience in the field of communications, preferably in brand management, strategy consulting or a design field. He/she/they must have experience and be highly skilled in creating high quality, professional presentations with a design eye, developing and implementing communications plans, writing and producing publications, collateral materials, and reports, and managing external messaging. This position requires excellent oral and written communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to independently absorb and distill information into compelling presentations, as well as the ability to write, edit and accurately proofread written materials. He/she/they will have experience working with and overseeing the work of professional consultants, and holding them accountable for delivering high-quality products in a timely manner.
This position requires excellent organizational skills, including very strong attention to detail and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks in a fluid, dynamic environment while continuing to meet deadlines. He/she/they will be able to adapt to the changing needs of a fast-paced organization while effectively managing goals and deadlines, exercising sound judgment, and be able to anticipate needs and proactively solve problems.
He/she/they must have outstanding interpersonal skills with a professional and genial demeanor, and the ability to work with a diverse and inclusive group of peers, trustees, consultants, advisors and grantees with different backgrounds and experiences. The position requires a hands-on performer with high energy levels, collaborative leadership abilities, and the aptitude for self-motivated team and independent work. An independent thinker, he/she/they will also have the capacity to carefully consider and engage colleagues’ points of view, make decisions in a collaborative manner, listen well, as well as seek and find creative, alternative solutions to challenges and disagreements that arise.
Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint is required, with proficiency in Outlook and Excel, and the proclivity to learn new software and applications quickly.
Total compensation includes an annual base salary that falls in the $80,000 to $90,000 range, the potential for an annual incentive award based on performance, and an exceptional benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and generous time off. Base salary will be set commensurate with chosen candidate’s knowledge, skill and experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For consideration, please include the following in your application:
· cover letter
· samples of high-quality presentations you’ve created
Please send your application to EMCFcareers@emcf.org. Be sure to include “Senior Communications Associate” in the subject line.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
The Edna McConnell Clark Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly and disabled candidates to apply. We appreciate all applicants, but due to the anticipated volume of submissions, we will only be able to respond to those who are best qualified for the position.