Educational Alliance, a 128 year old New York institution, is a vibrant, dynamic organization serving New Yorkers from all walks of life. We serve everyone regardless of the language they speak, where they come from, or their socioeconomic status. We believe that everyone should have a chance to live a better life and that arts and culture, education, health and wellness, and social services can help lay that foundation.
The 14th Street Y, part of Educational Alliance, is a vibrant community center grounded in the belief that contemporary Jewish sensibilities can be a source of inspiration, connection and learning for the individuals and families we serve throughout New York City’s East Village and beyond. With a health and wellness center, education and enrichment programs, and innovative arts and cultural programming, the Y is committed to the development of the whole person and bettering people’s lives by strengthening family connections and building inclusive and sustainable communities.
14 Street Y “Perks”
- Competitive Salary
- Paid Holidays, Floating Holidays, and Personal Days
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Access to fitness facility
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Discounts to programs at Educational Alliance
- Generous Vacation Package
The Executive Assistant/Chief of Staff (“EA/COS”) is a newly created position that will function in a key role to enable the 14th Street Y Executive Director (“ED”) and Executive Team to work most effectively with both internal and external stakeholders. This is a special role and opportunity for someone who is drawn to the 14th Street Y’s mission, is adept at forming strong relationships across a variety of constituencies, and has a track record of achievement through influence, teamwork and collaboration. This person will play an integral part in coordinating day-to-day activities for the Executive Team, as well as facilitating the execution of their strategic and fundraising initiatives. The EA/COS oversees the Administrative Assistant for Executive and Development. This role is critical when it comes to keeping strategic initiatives moving forward in a coordinated way. S/he will make the biggest impact through creativity, organization, and flexibility, and skillful facilitation. The selected candidate for this position will be a highly resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, integrity, willingness to consistently put the Executive Director’s, Executive Team’s and the 14th Street Y’s interest above all else, absolute confidentiality where appropriate, and strong analytical skills.
One minute this person may be designing a meeting agenda, the next they may be aligning multiple stakeholders to ensure progress on an initiative, the next they may be assessing inquiries from clients or donors, and the next they may be creatively rejiggering meetings on a calendar to make time for multiple commitments.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
- Supports Executive Director and the Executive Team
- Aid, communicate and interact on a continuous basis with 14th Street Y staff, Board of Trustees, community partners, donors, elected officials, vendors, and community members.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Strategic Advisor and Administrative Coordinator to the Executive Director and Executive Team
- Provide strategic counsel on the ED’s time and workload in order to leverage his/her effectiveness, productivity, and efficiency. Plan, coordinate, and ensure Executive Director’s schedule is managed appropriately; act as gatekeeper to Executive Director’s time.
- Relieve the ED and AED of Advancement and Planning of administrative detail and coordinate communication, overseeing Administrative Assistant and ensuring they are prepared for internal and external meetings, events, and presentations.
- Oversee the management of Executive Director’s correspondence to ensure an accurate, precise, and expedient response. Resolves and/or mediates concerns of constituencies, when appropriate, as well as assists constituencies in gaining access to the most appropriate senior leader for response.
- At times and when appropriate, will represent the ED at external and internal events and meetings and on various committees and task forces.
- Facilitate communication and coordination with senior staff and business partners.
- Complete projects and special assignments with the Executive Team (and at times with their direct reports) by establishing objectives, determining priorities, managing time, gaining cooperation of others, monitoring progress, problem-solving, making adjustments to plans, and other tasks as required.
- Assure that meetings, conferences, and all activities are planned and executed successfully including, but not limited to, Board meetings, donor meetings, staff meetings, and gatherings.
- Ensure that Chief of Staff and Administrative Assistant to the Executive Team respond to correspondence in a timely manner with a strong attention to detail.
- Oversee and track, with Administrative Assistant, Executive team’s budget, reconcile petty cash and corporate card purchases, and complete check requests as necessary for Executive Team.
Board and Donor Engagement
- In coordination with the AED for A&P, assist in coordinating Executive team’s fundraising and board engagement efforts. Participate in regular meetings with the AED of A&P to review and strategize upcoming board, donor, and prospect meetings and fundraising events, as well as monitor follow-up items.
- Work with AED for A&P and Administrative Assistant on annual planning to set the ED’s calendar and prepare for recurring donor events.
- Ensure trustee/donor experience is of the highest level of quality in all aspects of Board or donor engagement.
- Collaborate with Senior Staff to ensure trustee/donor’s time with management is used most productively.
- Ensure ED and Executive Team’s timely and relevant communication with trustees and donors.
- In collaboration with External Relations, prepare periodic reports and updates for trustees and donors.
- Oversee and assist with planning and execution of trustee or donor events outside of Board meetings, such as ED or AED’s entertainment of trustees or donors.
- In collaboration with the AED for Advancement and Planning Relations, assist with the cultivation of prospective new trustees and donors.
- Oversee Administrative Assistant in prioritizing scheduling; assisting with meeting preparation; monitoring follow-up of subsequent meetings; tracking; recording and acknowledging gifts; correspondence, etc.
Special Projects (such as)
- Developing and implementing a work and project planning template and process for Executive Team and their Direct Reports
- Support ED in managing Downtown Jewish Life Network Relationships, key partner events, and website.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Attend trainings and/or professional development as required.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3+ years’ experience supporting executive-level staff, preferably in a non-profit.
- Impeccable communication skills, both verbally and written, and attention to detail when it comes to editing correspondence, reports, and other documents.
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, extremely organized, and able to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to build relationships among internal and external stakeholders and handle matters in a professional, courteous and friendly manner.
- Possess decision-making skills that are effective and efficient.
- Maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Ambitious and driven to excel with an interest in gaining knowledge about non-profit management.
Role Key Competencies
- Customer Focus
- Planning and Organizing
- Team Player
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Minimum Education Required