37 West 26th Street
Solar One is a nonprofit leader in New York City on the cutting edge of sustainability programming. Our fast-paced organization and innovative programs help individuals and communities explore new ways of living and working that are adaptive to a changing world. Solar One is in the process of constructing a groundbreaking, new Resiliency Education Center that will be the first net zero energy use and fully resilient building to be built in New York City along the waterfront, post Superstorm Sandy. It is expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2019 and will further the reach of our educational programming to even wider audiences.
We are seeking an experienced part-time Grant Writer who will primarily be responsible for developing and writing grant proposals to institutional funders (foundations and corporations) and government institutions, along with other grant-making organizations, with a particular focus on capacity building fundraising for our new Resiliency Education Center. The part-time Grant Writer is expected to work at least 20 hours per week and will report directly to the Executive Director. Salary will be hourly and based on experience.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Writing, developing and assembling well-developed, creative and persuasive grant proposals on the organization’s mission and programs to current and potential institutional funders (foundations and corporations), government institutions and other grant-making organizations.
· Managing and assembling all supplemental materials required for proposals.
· Conducting prospect research and cultivating and establishing personal contact and relationships with foundation contacts and program officers.
· Ensuring prompt acknowledgement of foundation gifts.
· Maintaining pipeline and calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports.
· Prioritizing projects to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, while meeting deadlines
· Other development related activities as they arise.
· Requires at least a bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of development and grant writing experience (including government grant writing), showing proven results in meeting target goals.
· Excellent writing, analytical and research skills, demonstrating keen understanding of online databases and other sources to locate biographical, financial and philanthropic information.
· Solid understanding of how to prepare budgets and financial reports as they relate to proposals and grants.
· Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized.
· Ability to work collaboratively to synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct way.
· Strong project management, organization, and planning skills, including the ability to multi-task under tight deadlines .
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Solar One is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. We are committed to diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and disability status. EOE/AA/Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Please email resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Position will remain open until filled.