East Africa field site or capital city, with up to 25% travel (initial six months will require 50% time in rural East Africa)
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job
Our Global Director of Systems will be one of the most important people in the organization, and will quickly join the organization-wide leadership group. S/he will be a key deputy of the Global Director of Operations, and will lead all back-office, technology, and supply chain functions in our 5,500+ person organization, spanning several departments.
Building scalable operations in low-infrastructure rural areas is a massive challenge, which is why we are seeking an exceptional leader to help us grow one of the most innovative, flexible and reliable rural delivery networks in the world. Our team physically delivers tens of thousands of tons farm inputs annually, conducting more that 5,000 deliveries to remote and rural locations every year, with incredible accuracy and timeliness. Our software team builds flexible tools to manage innovative loan products in low-connectivity environments, and are currently building many of our core business processes into a tablet application. Our back-office client data team processes over ten million payments per year – many via mobile money networks – and uses an SMS receipting system to create a digital paper trail for our customers. We receive and process millions of unique and customized client orders each year in a narrow pre-planting order window, and provide unparalleled after sales service through our local call centers. Scaling this network to reach 5-10x as many clients in the next decade will require tremendous leadership, vision, and a laser-focus on execution.
Our long-term vision is to build the largest and most impactful rural distribution network in the world, delivering and financing affordable, life-changing products and services to the world’s most underserved farming communities. Our Global Systems Division is at the heart of this vision, and a cornerstone of our efforts to address rural hunger and poverty on a continent-wide scale.
The overarching goals for this role are to:
- Continue building best-in-class supply chain, client data management, customer service, and software/technology functions
- Grow our operations teams in an efficient and scalable manner to serve more clients across a larger geography
- Drive innovation across all operations teams to adapt to the needs of a changing program model, as well as new business units
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Setting Vision & Strategy
- Building Team
- Executing on Key Organizational Initiatives
- Leading Innovation in Operations
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 8-15+ years work experience as a general manager/ leader in a fast-growing organization, and a propensity for innovation – C-level executives or co-founders would be ideal candidates. Prior operations experience preferred but not required, if the candidate has held a senior-level position at an innovative organization. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encourage to apply:
- Passion for operations, building scalable and efficient systems, and solving problems in a difficult operating environment
- Proven ability to manage teams and develop leaders; experience in remote management a plus
- Strong data and analytical skills; advanced Excel a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a multi-cultural work place in a developing country a plus
- Creativity and strong problem solving skills
- Top-performing educational background; related Master’s Degree is an asset, but not strictly required
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Language: Fluent English required
Preferred Start Date
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flights, housing.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required