We Propel Human Potential. SEO is an educational non-profit focused on improving outcomes for students that come from underserved and historically underrepresented backgrounds. For over 50 years, SEO has been an innovator in education, mentorship, and creating educational programs and opportunities that maximize the full potential of our students. We are on a mission to create an ecosystem of excellence for the students we serve!
Position Overview & Responsibilities
We are seeking a Director of Communications who can take SEO’s marketing and communications efforts to the next level, highlighting the excellence of our programs and expected growth. This individual will need to be an experienced strategic leader who can create strong alignment between organizational strategy, external relations, marketing strategy, and communications tactics and execution. This position also requires skills with building relationships within an organization and working cross-functionally, and you bring insight to the best ways to align internal stakeholders around our mission and our work.
- Develop and execute an integrated strategic communications plan to advance SEO’s brand identity and broaden awareness of its initiatives across key stakeholder audiences, including donors, corporate partners, SEO participants, alumni, media, and the general public.
- Define key performance indicators and develop analytics that show the effectiveness of SEO’s communications activities and allow for the continuous improvement of strategy and tactics.
- In coordination with the Development department, define and implement effective outreach strategies for engaging prospective donors and deepening relationships between SEO and current supporters.
- Manage and actively implement the development of all marketing and communications collateral and material, including videography, photography, brochures, one-pagers, etc.
- Develop and implement an effective strategy for leveraging social media and other digital communications (website, organizational profiles, etc.) to enhance SEO’s brand and further the organization’s strategic goals.
- Define, document, and train all SEO team members on systems and processes that allow for the development of clear and consistent marketing and communications materials, including talking points, brand guidelines, photo archives, and media trainings.
- Structure the activities of the department to support program outreach, activities, and events, including participant recruitment, partner engagement events, etc.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to secure coverage surrounding programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Proactively identify opportunities for engagement and influence by being current with developments that relate to all key stakeholders and partners.
- Develop a calendar for external speaking engagement for key personnel and assist in the preparation of senior executives.
- Partner with Human Resources in designing and executing creative internal communications programs that align our organization around core business objectives and build our culture.
- Partner with Information Technology and key stakeholders to design and manage internal communications tools that support collaboration and connect team members to strategy, values, and key projects.
- Partner with SEO’s executive team and leaders across the organization team to shape and deliver effective internal messaging and events.
- Partner with Human Resources in developing and executing on communications strategy for SEO’s diversity, equity and inclusion initiative, including working with the company's employee resource groups to effectively capture and communicate company stories and values.
- Determine the appropriate structure, tactics, and processes for the Communications department that will support departmental and organizational strategy.
- Manage two full-time direct reports, freelance designers, photographers, videographers, printers, and other independent contractors.
- Bachelor's degree required, an MBA is a plus
- 10+ years developing strategic communications plans with a track record of using a range of digital and traditional communications channels to achieve goals and deliver impact
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with 5+ years, experience writing op-eds and other communications for c-level executives, ideally in the context of economic policy, business innovation, workforce development, education or another complex subject.
- Strong understanding and application of diversity, equity, and inclusion issues, trends, and forecasts.
- Experience developing and implementing successful internal communications and engagement strategies for large organizations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Dropbox, Salesforce, virtual meeting channels like Zoom, and content databases.
- Excellent people and project management skills, including staff development and agency/vendor management.
- Highly collaborative, with an ability to work well in a cross-functional team
- Proven ability to design and implement new processes and facilitate brand marketing
- Ability to communicate technical needs and solutions with non-technical staff
- Highly organized and efficient with excellent time management skills
- Excellent analytical, process design and problem-solving skills and demonstrated project management experience; ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks within a collaborative team environment
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to visually or hearing impaired, please email SEO Careers Help.
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.