1 Federal Street
Manager of Finance and Operations
Join a leading non-profit, public interest law firm dedicated to protecting consumers’ right to access health care through individual and class-action cases, policy initiatives and systemic challenges
HLA is a dynamic non-profit, public interest law firm whose mission is to provide pro bono legal services to low-income Massachusetts residents having difficulty accessing or paying for health care. Founded in 1996, HLA provides individual representation and advice for more than 700 clients annually. HLA also engages in system-wide litigation, public policy advocacy and educational programming to advance its goals.
The Manager of Finance and Operations oversees the administrative and financial functions of Health Law Advocates, which has a staff of 15. The role is a senior position and is essential to the organization’s pursuit of its charitable mission. The Manager we seek will play a leadership role in the organization through financial planning and record-keeping, human resources activities and office management. The successful candidate will work closely with HLA’s Executive Director, and interact regularly with members of the organization’s Board of Directors and team of advocates.
Reports to: Executive Director
The Manager of Finance and Operations: Responsibilities
1) Maintain organization’s financial processes and records, including accounts payable and receivable.
2) Develop organizational budget with Executive Director and Board and prepare forecasts.
3) Prepare financial reports for grants and contracts.
4) Execute bank deposits and reconcile monthly bank statements.
5) Process payroll.
6) Work with independent auditors during annual inspection of financial records.
7) Retain and manage personnel files.
8) Manage benefits, vacation reports, and 401k plan.
9) Oversee the technical maintenance of the organization’s databases for donors and clients.
10) Procurement of equipment and services.
11) Train new staff on telephone and computer systems.
12) Act as liaison between HLA and vendors, including liability and casualty insurers, payroll company, banking institutions, office equipment providers, and IT support firms.
13) Curate organizational policies.
14) Undertake other projects and tasks as needed.
Manager of Finance and Operations: Qualifications
Minimum requirements include:
- Financial accounting background and record keeping.
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently, but also as part of a team.
- Understanding of IT systems and an ability to troubleshoot with IT vendors and consultants.
- Expertise in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and QuickBooks.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to produce accurate, well-crafted work products.
Other preferred qualifications:
· Prior work experience in the administration of a law office and/or non-profit organization.
· Track record of handling individual and organizational issues in a confidential, professional and expedient manner.
· Proven experience and competency with employee benefit and payroll administration.
This position includes a robust benefits package including competitive salary (based on experience and other qualifications), comprehensive health insurance and a generous paid leave policy.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and 3 references by email to Robert MacPherson, Chief Operating Officer, Health Law Advocates at email@example.com.
Health Law Advocates is an AA/EO Employer. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans and people who speak a language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required