1201 Lavaca Street
First United Methodist, Austin
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position and reports directly to the Executive Pastor.
Responsible for the oversight and accomplishment of the overall financial, human resources, and business activities of First United Methodist Church of Austin, managing the financial, human resources, and business practices in a way that allow the church to conduct operations in a sustainable manner.
Skills Needed: understanding knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, financial analysis skills, employment law, human resources best practices, communication skills, excellent computer software skills (excel, accounting software, etc…), and the ability to learn the church’s financial and membership database.
Areas of Responsibility:
1. Oversee day-to-day financial operations of the church (approximately 30 hours per week)
· Maintain general ledger (accounting entries, month and year close), including assigning costs to various individual funds that compromise the church and pre-school accounting system.
· Manage accounts receivable and payable
· Review expenses for legitimacy and proper coding
· Make bank deposits, monitor cash flow and bank balance
· Review income areas and compare to budget plan
· Produce monthly financial reports
· Maintain confidential and security of personal financial information of members and donors
2. Human Resource Officer
· Manage the onboarding of new employees, coordinating with their supervisors
· Oversee the termination or disciplinary procedures according to policy
· Administer the PTO Policy
· Curate the Employee Handbook
3. Accounting and financial reporting functions
· Complete financial reporting required by the Annual Conference and Charge Conference
· Facilitate audit processes and provide support and information as required by the auditors (every other year)
· Calculate value of endowment at year-end close and calculate the recommended distribution to the church.
· Develop financial analysis tools that indicate organizational financial health
4. Carry out duties of the CFO function of the church
· Supervise and monitor Finance Assistant, providing support as needed
· Develop annual budget, monitor results, analyzing variances
· Maintain relationships with external lenders
· Review and select health insurance coverage – including property and staff health insurance
· Authorized signature/approval for certain financial transactions – including payroll and receivables
Other requirements for this position:
Biennial (once every two years) Background Check (required for all positions).
Annual Credit Check.
Follow policies and procedures as outlined in the First United Methodist Church Child Safety
Flexibility at key times of year, such as Christmas.
403(b) matching, health insurance (100% premium paid), and generous PTO
Minimum Education Required