Details: Commensurate with experience and expertise.
Director of Development
Open Communities Overview:
Open Communities' mission is to educate, advocate and organize to promote just and inclusive communities in north suburban Chicago. We seek to eradicate housing discrimination, in all of its forms and against all persons, because of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, familial status, or source of income. Housing is a human right; fair housing is the law.
To further our goal of equal housing opportunities for all, Open Communities engages in activities that encourage fair housing practices including landlord-tenant and foreclosure counseling services, community education, and advocacy to make our communities more welcoming for everyone.
In partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will spearhead fundraising efforts as Open Communities works to diversify its funding base, raise its community profile and restore its institutional strength.
Reports directly to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities (in priority order):
- Develop and execute all aspects of Open Communities’s annual fundraising plan. Assist the Executive Director in developing the annual budget from which the fundraising plan is derived.
- Secure financial support from individuals, the government, foundations, faith institutions and corporations. Develop and maintain strong ongoing relationships with major funders, including individuals, government agencies, faith leaders, corporate giving officers and private foundations.
- Create and execute a strategy for attracting a large sustainable base of annual individual donors, including a mail campaign for small gifts; a system for asks through faith congregations; and working with the Board and Executive Director to plan and implement asks for major individual gifts.
- Work with the program staff to identify specific needs and programs which can be marketed to specific prospective donors.
- Write and track grant proposals and reports for all government, foundation and corporate fundraising; secure grant renewals where available. (Note: monthly and quarterly financial reports to be completed by the bookkeeper, as scheduled and monitored by Director.)
- Identify and research innovative fundraising strategies and sources of funds, e.g. Community Reinvestment, Giving Tuesday, workplace giving.
- Work with the Executive Director and skilled volunteers to create and implement a communications program including but not limited to social media.
- Represent the agency in fundraising-related public outreach as required by the terms of grants or by overall fundraising strategy.
- Oversee organization of special events
Open Communities is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer with an eye on creating success for every employee by appreciating the uniqueness that each person brings to the workplace. Open Communities strongly encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Salary range $55-65k
Health insurance partly paid by employer; other benefits offered cafeteria-style at employee's expense.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent Spanish a big plus; but REALLY fluent.
Minimum Education Required