MountainTrue seeks a bright, organized, and outgoing individual with strong communications skills, experience in online advocacy, and development writing. The Communications Associate will report to the Director of Communications and work closely with our Community Engagement Director, program directors and regional directors to (1) promote our programs through member outreach and correspondence, public relations, social media, and marketing; (2) support our advocacy goals through online organizing/advocacy; (3) provide writing and communications support for our fundraising activities.
The Communications Associate will manage the production of monthly regional e-newsletters and a quarterly print newsletter; assist in the writing, editing, and formatting of blog posts, emails, and fundraising appeals; manage the organization’s social media engagement; and build and execute effective high-impact online advocacy campaigns.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manages the writing and production of four regional monthly e-newsletters with the assistance of our regional directors.
- Manages the writing and production of our quarterly print newsletter with the assistance of a contract graphic designer.
- Manages MountainTrue’s 15 social media properties in coordination with regional directors and program staff.
- Monitors, responds to, and engages with our constituents via email, website, and social media.
- Uses MountainTrue’s email, advocacy, and constituency relationship management system to compose and effectively target emails, build advocacy pages, and track and report results.
- Makes regular maintenance and updates to MountainTrue websites.
- Assist with other projects as needed.
- Excellent verbal, writing, and editing skills and demonstrated skills in writing and producing press releases, blog posts, and online advocacy materials.
- Ability to work with and write for diverse audiences from across the political spectrum.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Ability to prioritize among competing goals to execute on tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Enthusiasm for technology and adopting the latest and most effective social media practices.
The following are preferred:
- Copy editing or professional writing experience.
- A background in online advocacy and organizing.
- Experience working with social media management tools such as Sprout Social, Hootsuite, or Buffer.
- Experience working with nonprofit/advocacy-focused constituent relationship management (CRM) systems such as EveryAction, Salsa, or
- Salesforce, or with campaign-focused systems such as NGP-VAN.
- Experience in managing and updating website content management systems such as WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla.
- Ability to create simple but effective graphic design and layout using Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop).
- Experience with photography and videography.
- Experience with video editing software such as Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.
- A demonstrated passion for the environment and an understanding of conservation issues.
Salary: Mid 40s. Excellent benefits package.