370-B South King Road
The Mayfair Leadership Development Coordinator II develops strong leadership in the predominantly immigrant Mayfair community amongst neighborhood families; facilitates skills-building and political education workshops and supports the development of community strategies to support a thriving and vibrant Mayfair.
The Mayfair Coordinator II reports directly to SOMOS Mayfair’s Leadership Development Manager. The Coordinator II will be charged with developing the leadership of families in the Alum Rock Unified School District and Mayfair residents and providing training and skill-building to support our community organizing, literacy, affordability and economic opportunity strategies. The Coordinator II will also build alliances and partnerships locally to move the Mayfair Platform to fruition.
Duties and Responsibilities (approximate % of time & priority):
Training, leadership development and engagement of community leaders (60%)
- Coordinate SOMOS’ Mayfair Popular University workshops, convenings and special events with parents at schools in the Alum Rock Union School District, youth and Mayfair residents;
- Develop and maintain Leadership Development tools, including the political education library and the virtual toolbox;
- Support SOMOS’ Coordinators with the strategies, tools, and technical assistance to develop leaders;
- Support the Certification process of leaders interested in building specific skills to access economic opportunities;
- Support the development and alignment of curriculum in our early learning, community organizing, affordability and economic opportunities strategies;
- Collect, organize and analyze data for the purposes of program evaluation and strategy-building.
External Relationships & Regional Advocacy (5%)
- Establish productive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, organizations, local school and school district and agencies to ensure and promote the long-term organizational mission and goals;
- Participate in regional and statewide efforts to advance the efforts of promotores and leaders working in neighborhoods like Mayfair.
Impact Evaluation (15%)
- Conduct strategic evaluation of program area with support from Program Manager biannually;
- Conduct regular and consistent strategic planning with leaders in program area as well as collectively in team to ensure program effectiveness, deep and sustainable impact and continuous growth.
- Supervise the work of volunteer leaders and contractors assigned to the Leadership Development team;
Professional Development (5%)
- Create an annual professional development plan to develop or strengthen essential skills and seek opportunities for greater and on-going learning;
- Participate in agency wide decision-making arenas and in regular internal political education as needed;
- Contribute to the development of organizational world-view and development of strategic plan.
- Deep passion and commitment to advancing social justice and grassroots leadership in immigrant, working class communities
- Able to learn and adapt
- Able to interact well with young children, youth and adults
- Experience applying popular education methodology in group facilitation and developing group trainings
- Experience working in community-based organizations in community organizing, community leadership development and/or peer-to-peer service delivery models (ie. Promotor) in working poor, immigrant communities
- Bilingual/biliterate Spanish-English
- Valid California drivers license and proof of auto insurance
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel and comfortable with e-mail communication
- Able to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends
- Fingerprint and background check required
- Experience in community outreach and/or campaign strategy
- Experience supervising volunteers, leaders and/or staff
We encourage you to forward this announcement to others who may be interested. The position will remain open until filled. Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to:
370-B South King Rd.
San Jose, CA 95116
Or via e-mail
SOMOS Mayfair is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability or veteran status.
Plus, benefits including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid holidays, sick time, 401K plan
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume