Details: EUR 34.000-38.000 gross per year, depending on level of experience, based on full-time employment of 40 hours per week
Help us advance digital rights in Europe!
The Digital Freedom Fund is a recently founded organisation that works to advance digital rights through strategic litigation in Europe. We’re looking for an experienced Finance Officer to support us and our partners in bringing about change.
DFF provides financial support for strategic court cases and facilitates increased collaboration between those working to advance digital rights. The organisation also assists litigators in finding pro bono legal support. DFF does not itself litigate or engage in lobbying. Rather, it seeks to leverage the strong work digital rights organisations in Europe are already doing.
DFF operates with a light operational staff as its focus is on grantmaking and field support activities rather than participating in litigation work itself. The Finance Officer will work under the supervision of the Director to help manage the financial aspects of implementing DFF’s strategy.
DFF is incorporated as a stichting under Dutch law, with its staff operating from Berlin, where the Finance Officer is expected to work as well.
The Finance Officer's time will be dedicated to the financial aspects of DFF’s grantmaking and field support activities and supporting the Director in financial management of the organisation, including fundraising and financial reporting. This includes the following main tasks:
- Administering the financial aspects of DFF’s grantmaking process, including the assessment of applicant and grantee project budgets, evaluating grantee financial reporting, and conducting grantee due diligence;
- Assisting the Director in managing DFF’s organisational budget, expenditure oversight and financial forecasting;
- Assisting the Director in preparation of DFF’s project budgets;
- Assisting with the financial aspects of DFF’s donor reporting;
- Coordinating DFF’s annual external financial audit;
- Managing DFF’s financial and payment processes, including disbursements, light administrative and operational tasks;
- Assisting the Director in managing DFF’s relationship with its accountants and auditors.
All staff members are involved in the building of DFF as it is a start-up organisation. This will require hands-on work and flexibility from all staff members. This is an opportunity to be part of a new organisation from the start and help shape its vision, strategy, profile and further development, as well as an opportunity for a talented finance professional to grow their role with the organisation.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in accounting, controlling or business economics. Candidates with a similar level of relevant experience and educational background in accounting, finance management or administration are welcome to apply;
- Minimum of 3-4 years of progressively responsible professional experience, with specific experience from the non-profit sector a significant advantage;
- Outstanding understanding of budgets and excellent financial management skills;
- Experience interacting with non-profit organisations in a grantmaking capacity highly desirable;
- Knowledge of Dutch accounting regulations a significant advantage;
- Knowledge and experience of administration and financial control procedures in relation to project administration;
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English; working knowledge of Dutch a plus;
- Attention to detail essential;
- Able to work effectively both as a team member and independently, with a high level of self-motivation; excellent organisational and interpersonal skills;
- Proactive work attitude; able to prioritise between competing tasks and to set and meet goals;
- Demonstrable interest in human rights;
- Willingness to occasionally travel internationally.
DFF provides its employees with a laptop, mobile phone contribution, and pays a pension contribution additional to the statutory requirements. The initial employment term will be 1 year, with the possibility of renewal. A reduced working schedule is negotiable.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and verbal skills in English; working knowledge of Dutch a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send the following to info[at]digitalfreedomfund.org with "DFF Finance Officer <name>" in the subject line before 8 October:
- Statement of motivation (1 page)
- CV (2 pages)
- Names of two professional references
References will not be contacted without prior approval of the applicant.