Educational Alliance brings together and partners with diverse communities in Lower Manhattan, offering individuals and families high-quality, multi-generational programs and services that enhance their well-being and socioeconomic opportunities. We are a place where everyone is welcome and where progress is powered one relationship at a time. We are proud of our legacy as a Jewish organization and we provide high-quality, transformational services and programs to all New Yorkers through our network of community centers on Manhattan’s Lower East Side and East Village. As we have for 130 years, we offer best-in-class programming–now across 15 sites—focusing on a mix of education, health and wellness, arts and culture, and civic engagement.
Early Childhood at Manny Cantor Center is an inspired, responsive and progressive preschool serving children ages 0-5 years old, built on the following principles: all children are competent, capable, and curious; all families have something to contribute; we are stronger together. Our pioneering blended-funding model incorporates Head Start, Early Head Start, Universal Pre-K and tuition funding to serve all families on the Lower East Side and beyond.
Inspired by the schools of Reggio Emilia, our classrooms are joyful and nurturing learning environments that foster inquiry, exploration and reflection. With the support and supervision of our Associate Directors of Education, our teachers work collaboratively with children to co-construct a curriculum that draws inspiration from children’s interests and the world around us.
- Competitive Salary
- Paid Holidays
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Free Gym Membership to our Manny Cantor Center Gym
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Discounts to programs at Educational Alliance
- Generous Vacation Package
Early Childhood at Manny Cantor Center is helping to build a vision for progressive education on the Lower East Side. We believe that all children make meaning through inquiry, exploration and play in the context of strong relationships and a sense of belonging. Our Associate Directors of Education work in direct partnership with teachers to support the creation of rich and responsive co-constructed curriculum in classrooms.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
- Directly supervise a cohort of classrooms and teachers serving 3-5 year old children.
- Support the documentation/reflection/planning cycle in classrooms and serve as co-thinker with teachers around curriculum and project planning. Plan professional development and growth opportunities for teachers and staff.
- Partner with our Early Childhood Social Worker and Program Coordinator to develop a trauma-informed whole child approach to supporting children and families. Serve as a thought partner and collaborator with the Early Childhood Senior Director in determining the overall approach and direction of the school.
- Collaborate with programs and departments within Educational Alliance and Manny Cantor Center.
- Build relationships with community members to establish Early Childhood at Manny Cantor Center as a dynamic, responsive and inclusive community.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Program Development and Classroom Support
- In partnership with Early Childhood Directors, support teacher’s professional development by planning staff meetings, dialogue groups and professional development.
- Facilitate weekly meetings with teaching teams to discuss ongoing project work and investigations, documentation, and communication with families.
- Observe in classrooms to provide feedback, strategies and coaching to individual teachers and teams, to help identify emerging lines of inquiry, and to support the planning and implementation of a responsive, co-constructed curriculum. Conduct formal assessments as necessary.
- Support teachers to use documentation as the basis of the reflection and planning process, and to make children’s learning visible to children, families and the community. Work with teachers to ensure that align such documentation with the DRDP assessment system.
- Create and maintain documentation archive of ongoing classroom work.
- Provide mentorship and coaching to teachers. Document professional development plans and coaching logs as required by DOE and/or Head Start.
- Check in regularly with teaching teams, and coordinate with our Early Childhood Directors, Program Coordinators, Social Workers and support staff, Community Music Teaching Artist and Community Studio Manager to ensure classroom needs are met quickly.
- Participate in parent meetings as needed.
- Participate in interviewing, recruitment, training and development of teachers, assistant teachers and additional support staff. Provide orientation to welcome new staff into our approach and philosophy.
- Assist with the planning of of Parenting Center programming.
- In Partnership with Directors, work collaboratively with the Early Childhood Parent Policy Council and assist with planning and delivery of family events and projects as necessary.
- Collaborate with other programs and departments within Educational Alliance and Manny Cantor Center.
- Create effective and efficient organizational system for program management.
- Assist program staff, teachers, students and parents with questions, concerns, and information.
- Maintain compliance for DOH, DOE and other regulatory requirements.
- Track budgets and expenses for professional development and classroom materials
- Support administrative team with purchase orders, check requests, managing and updating student records and program files.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Masters Degree and Certification in Early Childhood Education
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Organized with strong attention to detail and ability to develop efficient, internal systems and workflow
- Minimum 3 years of classroom teaching experience
- Able to work a flexible schedule as needed
- The ideal candidate will be a passionate and warm collaborator, excellent communicator with proven success connecting and relating with students, parents, staff, and the community.
- Understand developmental milestones, appropriate practice and assessment for all age groups in the school.
- Team player with a passion for building relationships and fostering partnerships, both internal and external to Manny Cantor Center
- Self-motivated, highly efficient, and able to problem solve
- Demonstrated ability to handle stressful situations in a professional, warm and friendly manner
- Conversational in one or more Chinese dialects is a plus
Role Key Competencies
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.