The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Specialist, Health Promotions to join our incredible team in the Southeast Region. Working as a member of the Health Promotions & Education Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for implementing the Mississippi Tobacco Free Coalition grant in Harrison County as well as promoting the American Lung Association in the assigned territory
- Implement the Mississippi Tobacco Free Coalition grant in Harrison County, Mississippi including; but, not limited to:
- Conducting youth tobacco control movement with youth team activities.
- Recruiting teams from primary and secondary schools to reach other youth with tobacco prevention education.
- Organizing youth activities to raise awareness of tobacco issues and promote tobacco free living.
- Providing community education promoting tobacco free and smoke free environments.
- Educating on the value of tobacco free and smoke free policies in workplaces, multi-unit housing and public places.
- Staffing local tobacco free coalition and hold quarterly meetings.
- Promoting smoking cessation to the community including Freedom From Smoking and other available programs.
- Develop a plan to integrate American Lung Association health education programs within assigned area.
- Support area’s LUNG FORCE activities including identifying LUNG FORCE Heroes, securing illuminations, securing media supporters, etc.
- Participate in and support all area events.
- Serve on regional and national workgroups and committees as requested.
- Develop recommendations for area health promotion budget.
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers to implement health promotion activities and raise funds to support the activities.
- Develop and submit timely reports as required by the association and funding sources, including but not limited to weekly updates in the Association CRM data base, monthly management reports, grant reports and program metrics reports.
- Develop relationships with elected officials and serve as a local resource on the association advocacy issues as assigned.
- Represent the association as a member of community, civic and/or health coalitions and organizations related to the American Lung Association’s mission.
- Develop relationships with major media outlets in the area and serve as the resource for information related to program activities.
- Select and participate in local, state and national seminars and courses designed to increase skills and knowledge related to job requirements.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum 1 year of experience developing and implementing community awareness, education, and programs specifically related to areas of public health.
- Prior experience in public health, community relations, public policy, and/or advocacy.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Positive attitude with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Required to travel for meetings and conferences as required by the grant.
- Ability to lift approximately 25 lbs. when assisting with local events.
- Able to work with minimum direct supervision, make decisions, and take initiative.
- Proven ability to cultivate and steward relationships across a diverse population.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends with some overnights required. Must have a valid Driver’s license.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
The American Lung Association offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, LTD, Matching 403(b), Paid Vacation/Sick/Holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply send cover letter and resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V