100 Peabody Street, NW
Lower School Director of Student Services (DSS)
Capital City is looking for a talented professional to serve as Director of Student Services (DSS), with expertise and interest in both Special Education and an Inclusion model, to work with an experienced team. The DSS oversees the supports provided to Special Education students and English Language Learners (ELLs) within our inclusion model. The DSS also takes the lead on supporting student behaviors needs in the Lower School. Capital City serves a diverse population and seeks a staff reflective of our student body.
This is a 12-month position, which is exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The many and varied responsibilities of the DSS include:
- Supervise all inclusion staff, including Inclusion Teachers and LS Specialists; work closely with Speech and Language Pathologist, School Psychologist
- Lead professional development around Inclusion best practices for the entire teaching staff.
- Monitor weekly consult time where inclusion staff meet with teaching staff to plan for instruction, monitor student goals, and discuss needs of unidentified students.
- Facilitate MDT and IEP meetings.
- Manage the development of the ELL program in conjunction with the ELL Specialist.
- Ensure compliance with all timelines and legal responsibilities.
- Work with teaching staff and other members of the Lower School Leadership Team to implement Responsive Classroom ® practices, a positive approach to discipline and positive school culture.
- Implement and enforce the school’s discipline policy as needed, which includes suspending students for serious infractions and holding reentry meetings with parents, students, and teachers present.
- Develop a high-quality summer school program and serve as summer school principal.
Required: A minimum of five years of elementary teaching experience with Special Education students and/or ELLs in an inclusion setting; Master’s degree in education or special education; prior leadership experience in a teaching or administrative role. Special education certification is strongly preferred, as is experience working with diverse student populations. Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “LS School Director of Student Services” in the subject line. For additional information, please visit our website www.ccpcs.org.
Compensation and Benefits: Capital City offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package
Capital City was founded in 2000 and currently serves students in grades PK-12 at a single site in Ward 4. Capital City has been a model for school reform in the District. The school implements the Expeditionary Learning model in tandem with the common principles of the Coalition of Essential Schools (CES). Through Expeditionary Learning (www.elschools.org) teachers craft expeditions that incorporate projects, research, fieldwork and service to support students in meeting rigorous standards. The CES principles (www.essentialschools.org) emphasize equity, depth over breadth, student leadership, and authenticity. Capital City’s program also emphasizes a strong social curriculum, a commitment to diversity, a strong inclusion model and the integration of arts into the curriculum. There is a strong focus on professional development and growth.
Capital City is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirement of the position being filled.