355 Food Center Drive
Title: Logistics Assistant
Reports to: Associate Director Food Distribution
For 35 years, Food Bank For New York City has been the city’s major hunger-relief organization working to end hunger throughout the five boroughs. Nearly one in five New Yorkers relies on Food Bank for food and other resources. Food Bank takes a strategic, multifaceted approach that provides meals and builds capacity in the neediest communities, while raising awareness and engagement among all New Yorkers. Through its network of more than 1,000 charities and schools citywide, Food Bank provides food for more than 61 million free meals per year for New Yorkers in need. Food Bank For New York City’s income support services, including food stamps (also known as SNAP) and free tax assistance for the working poor, put more than $110 million each year into the pockets of New Yorkers, helping them to afford food and achieve greater dignity and independence. Food Bank’s nutrition education programs and services empower more than 50,000 children, teens and adults to sustain a healthy diet and active lifestyle on a limited budget. Working toward long-term solutions to food poverty, Food Bank develops policy and conducts research to inform community and government efforts.
Are you seeking to make a difference in a fast-paced non-profit dedicated to ending hunger in New York City? Does a social justice mission move you to contribute your best ideas and solid experience to help our cause? If so, Food Bank For New York City wants you to join us! – We recognize that a strong, talented staff is central to our success and we invest in development and retention.
Primary Purpose of the Job:
To maintain daily operations of Logistics Department activities to include, but not limited to, data collection, record keeping, report/voucher preparation, troubleshooting, and problem solving.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain required schedule for notifying agencies of planned deliveries;
- Assist with timely distribution of logs;
- Assist in scheduling of deliveries of incoming product and preparation of appropriate spreadsheets;
- Assist in planning of delivery routes;
- Perform typing, data entry, and other clerical duties for departments as assigned by supervisor;
- Coordinate information in order to maintain accurate inventory levels of all products;
- Prepare/edit shipping documents for all product distribution programs;
- Collect and analyze data and prepare accurate timely reports;
- Maintain files and records according to established procedures;
- Troubleshoot agency concerns and product discrepancies and issue reports on these;
- Enter receipts of product received for all programs as requested or assigned;
- Make recommendations for improvements in data entry procedure and clerical tasks;
- Coordinate with staff and departments to assure excellent performance of program activities;
- Report any change in procedure, trends, or possible product security violations to management;
- Liaise with government agency personnel with regards to data collection and report writing;
- Act as back up for other Operations/Logistics functions;
- Back up for switchboard/receptionist duties;
- Assist in processing of direct mail batches;
- Performs other duties as required.
- HS diploma and 2 years of professional work experience; preferably in the non-profit sector
- Excellent verbal and written skills. Ability to reconcile accounts;
- Ability to organize information in a succinct manner;
- Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail and follow through;
- Ability to analyze large sets of data with high attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to operate with purpose, urgency and accuracy in a fast-paced deadline driven environment;
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times , always providing excellent customer service to all clients.
- Excellent computer skills including knowledge in Microsoft Word, Excel,PowerPoint,
- Analytical skills required. Any analysis done involves simple comparisons between numbers, letters, etc;
- Excellent data-entry skills; attention to details and troubleshooting capacity;
- Must appear competent and professional when interfacing with agency representatives and other key stakeholders.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Ability to set priorities, manage projects and juggle multiple priorities to meet deadlines and deliverables;
- Experience in or knowledge of social services and hunger issues is a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to Food Bank’s core values
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous process improvement
Minimum Education Required