1101 30th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
<img src="//:0" alt="NHT-logo_high-res-saved-for" height="102" width="79">
The National Housing Trust is a strong national nonprofit engaged in affordable housing advocacy, community lending and real estate development. Our mission is to preserve and improve affordable multifamily homes to support quality, healthy neighborhoods with a range of housing options so that families of all income levels have an opportunity to thrive.
NHT is an award-winning nonprofit with a focused agenda. The ideal applicant thrives in a fast-paced environment, working with dedicated and entrepreneurial colleagues.
The Controller reports to the Director of Finance and leads the day-to-day operations of the finance and accounting department. He/she is responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities, along with establishing, monitoring and enforcing accounting policies and procedures. He/she is responsible for preparation and distribution of all NHT entity internal financial statements to management, maintenance of the organization’s general ledger, review of reconciliations, managing year-end audit process and ensuring that all transactions and documentation complies with US GAAP.
· Manage daily activities for the accounting department, ensuring staff have prioritized duties and are completing required assignments.
· Manage the monthly closing process for all entities, including reconciliations and analysis of related accounts.
· Ensure intercompany allocations are appropriate and correct.
· Ensure intercompany billings are generated and paid monthly.
· Manage the preparation and distribution of internal financial statements and reports, maintaining the highest quality, accuracy and timeliness.
· Meet with team leaders to review monthly financials and grant reports for accuracy and gather information on projected activity with potential budget impacts.
· Manage the annual budget and planning process. Provide direction and coordination of the process with department heads. Consolidate and distribute draft budgets to leadership team for further revision.
· Coordinate annual audits with the external auditors.
· Develop and maintain the integrity of the financial reporting process and financial controls.
· Maintain, update, and if necessary, develop standard operating policies and procedures, in conjunction with Finance Director, ensuring they are documented.
· Maintain and strengthen departmental internal controls.
· Identify opportunities to improve efficiency and respond proactively to department and organizational needs.
· Maintain the chart of accounts.
· Maintain monthly cashflow for NHT and NHTE by working closely with colleagues and department managers; review results with Director of Finance.
· Prepare monthly investment schedules and related journal entries.
· Research and resolve accounting issues including evaluation and implementation of new accounting pronouncements to ensure US GAAP compliance.
· Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
· CPA desired with public accounting experience
· 2 or more years non-profit experience with grant accounting/reporting
· Experience with real estate/ property accounting strongly preferred
· Familiarity with intercompany accounting
· Strong U.S. GAAP accounting knowledge
· Knowledge of best practices for internal controls
· Managerial experience required
· Intacct experience preferred, but not mandatory
· Keen analytic, organizational and problem-solving skills
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Technically savvy
· Must have a positive attitude
· Work collaboratively with colleagues
Base Salary—commensurate with experience
If you are interested in this position, please email your resume and a brief cover letter explaining why you are a great fit to email@example.com. Please keep cover letters short and specific to job description. Please write "Controller" in the subject line of the email. No phone calls.
NHT is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required