The Criminal Practice of The Legal Aid Society has an immediate opening for a Support Staff position to provide client services and outreach in one of the facilities on Rikers Island.
* Messenger assignments
* Receptionist work: answering phones, delivering messages, and routing calls to legal staff
* Copy, fax, scan, collate, and batch documents
* Distribute various documents
* Enter and search for data on various databases
* Generate daily, weekly, and monthly reports from various databases
* Update facility calendars
* Send and retrieve files from archives
* Perform all word processing as needed
* Catalogue and update library materials
* Office filing
* Create and maintain case files
* Sort and deliver mail (may involve going to post office), including UPS/FEDEX, Airborne, etc.
* Prepare and deliver facility filings
* Provide general information to clients, clients' families, vendors, and staff
* Review, code, and process documents
* Maintain service information and logs
* Assist staff with long distance telephone calls
* Make arrangements for outside staff to get access to Rikers Island facilities
* Other duties as assigned
Queens- Rikers Island Judicial Center
* High school diploma, GED, or equivalent work experience
* Proficiency in word processing and computer skills, especially Microsoft Office
* Strong interpersonal, communications, and organizational skills
* Ability to work independently as well as in a team
* Ability to problem-solve and multi-task
* Fluency in a second language common to our client population is preferred
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Education Required