11858 La Grange Avenue
ExED (exed.net) is a nonprofit organization that fosters the development and management of high performing charter schools. We believe that every child should have access to a high-quality public education, especially children in educationally underserved communities. ExED is the only nonprofit business service provider serving charter schools in Southern California and operates offices in Los Angeles and San Diego. ExED works with more than 100 charter school clients serving more than 44,000 students.
ExED provides a range of services that support both new and existing charter schools, including; “CFO” services such as accounting, budgeting, financial reporting, payroll processing, and public funding compliance; facility financing services; and compliance and data management services. These services help our clients operate efficiently, build financial plans to meet short-term and long-term objectives, and secure affordable facilities all of which enable school leaders to spend more time working to improve student achievement at their school.
The Vice President, School Finance is based in ExED’s home office, which is comprised of over 70 team-members who work with charter schools to ensure their success. This position offers a detailed-oriented, highly organized professional the opportunity to apply finance expertise in a unique way—by helping charter schools efficiently allocate and manage their public dollars. The VP serves as the Chief Financial Officer for five to eight different charter schools. Internally, the VP oversees an accounting team comprised of an Accounting Manager, Accounting Associate, and Accounting Analyst.
- Develop budgets and forecasts to inform charter school management decisions.
- Develop financial strategies that help charter schools achieve their organizational objectives which requires a robust understanding and strong interest in the charter school’s goals and operations.
- Oversee accounting team to produce accurate financial performance reports, including year-to-date financial statements, budget to actual, and forecasts.
- Present financial performance reports monthly to charter school board of directors and meet regularly with charter school leadership.
- Become an expert and develop deep knowledge of charter school finance including how revenue is generated and the requirements associated with public funding.
- Develop financial operation procedures that enable charter schools to operate efficiently and maintain strong internal controls.
- Act as liaison between charter school and various public agencies; be the client and ExED financial ambassador at forums and charter schools.
- Oversee annual audits and ensure auditor recommendations are implemented.
- Anticipate problems and develop plans to mitigate them.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in accounting, business, finance, public policy, or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability formulating, interpreting and developing financial plans.
- Patience with people who are not well-versed in budgets, and a sense of humor.
- Interest and commitment to ExED’s mission of advancing access to high-quality public schools for students from underserved communities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional customer service.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, please be sure to submit your salary expectations.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability and a 403(b) retirement package. We also offer a generous vacation, sick, and holiday allocation.
Minimum Education Required